title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Music Converter halted after 16,755 files??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FlowJoe
    • Jan 2009

Music Converter halted after 16,755 files??

I was running 13.1 on 29,000 files, all .flac on my m9100z which has 4 cores and it was running fine for 1 1/2 days converting to mp3-320. I came into the studio to find it had halted after converting 16,755 of the files. How can I find out why and /or how do I restart the batch and have it exclude those already done. IT seems from my limited analysis of the situation that when the convertor got to a value of the tag # (whatever that is) = 99, it went no further. IS this a limit of some sort? I was assured that it could handle this many files. Have to say up until this point I felt the product was ROCKING!!!!! The files already done are PRISTINE!.
    HELP. :smile2:
    FLowJoe
    Last edited by FlowJoe; January 10, 2009, 12:00 AM.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Music Converter halted after 16,755 files??

You didn't run out of files, did you?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Did it crash, did windows crash?
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• FlowJoe
        • Jan 2009

No Windows didn't crash. I returned to find a fully opened(screenwide) empty batch window. No I didn't run out of files as I stated only 16,755 of 29,000+, (batch converter count), were converted. Strange! is there a way to have it process the rest excluding the ones already done other than going through a batch list and deselecting each? And what is # signifying?
        Peace,
        FlowJoe

Comment

• Wayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Aug 2002

does this # tag appear in every file?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Convert again and when asked to overwrite click No.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• FlowJoe
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Wayne
              does this # tag appear in every file?
              # is a column head I see in the mp3 file window along with title artist genre etc. It started at 1 for several files then went all the way up to 99. Is it some tag??
              Does anyone know what it is??:smile2:
              FlowJoe

Comment

• FlowJoe
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
                Is it going to ask me this for each file or can I set a global??
                Peace,
                FLOWJOE

Comment

• FlowJoe
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by FlowJoe
                  # is a column head I see in the mp3 file window along with title artist genre etc. It started at 1 for several files then went all the way up to 99. Is it some tag??
                  Does anyone know what it is??:smile2:
                  FlowJoe
                  This number also shows up on the source FLAC listing in the batch converter. It leads the file name and is seperated from the filename by a "-"..that is a hyphen. In the mp3 lame output it shows up as a seperate column. Someone's gotta know what this is!! Spoon or somebody!!
                  Peace,
                  FLOW

Comment

• FlowJoe
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by FlowJoe
                    This number also shows up on the source FLAC listing in the batch converter. It leads the file name and is seperated from the filename by a "-"..that is a hyphen. In the mp3 lame output it shows up as a seperate column. Someone's gotta know what this is!! Spoon or somebody!!
                    Peace,
                    FLOW
                    OK # is track number!!
                    I figured that out!
                    Peace,
                    FLOW

Comment

• FlowJoe
                      • Jan 2009

OK Spoon,
                      I did as advised! Converter recognized that many files already existed and ask to overwrite, I clicked "No to ALL", it then started to encode. However it ran through the remaining 12,063 files, by it's count, in 22 minutes. It never showed it was writing tags, it just said it was encoding on each of the cpu lines. But it was running at what it said was 2740X encoding rate, or thereabouts and the filenames were just flying by. I say that because it varied as it ran. It was using all 4 cpus but nothing was actually being encoded and written to the destination drive. It had remembered the drive and folder when the converter came up. What is going on? I thought it might be the drive(source). So I tried to use a backup drive which has the same files on it. Same result!! The 12,063 count is about right considering it originally thought it had 29,102 files to convert and windows sees 16,755 in the destination folder now. PLease help,
                      FlowJoe

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Try converting one of the files on its own, check the filesize of the source file.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• FlowJoe
                          • Jan 2009

Try converting one of the files on its own, check the filesize of the source file.
                          OK, OK. I think I have this figured out. What's happening is I'm getting a hidden fat32 error that dMC just passes over and doesn't report. It just skips through the files. ""ERROR: 0x80070052 - The directory or file cannot be created"". I got this when I tried to just click and drag a file into the folder. This means, in this case, that the 65,536 filename entries have been used up. This occurs because the names of the files are longer than 8.3 characters which is the base size. After that fat32 uses additional entry slots to get the whole name stored. So when the name are long, as song titles tend to be, each one could use 2 or 3 or 4 slots. So it's easy for 15-20K files or so to max out in either the root directory or in a folder. The solution was to create a new folder and when dMC asks to overwrite the existing files, I then copied all the files out of the existing folder to a holding folder and then told dMC to "No to all". It's purring along just nicely now and should complete about this time tomorrow on the remaining 12,063 tunes. This never showed up in my .flac files because they are all in their own folder by album. The limitation is by directory and each folder gets it's own as does the root. Now if I had used NTFS, as I will for the next Windows destined unit, this problem will not apply as it's limits are astronomical by comparison. I'm surprised no one else has run into this problem. This problem also exists in fat16. There the root is further limited to 512, while the folders can hold the 65,536. OK, OK Enough of that!!!! Anyway dMC ROCKS!!!!!!!
                          Thanks for the help SPOON. SOmetimes just a question or instruction from someone else points you in the right direction!!
                          Anyway, that's what I did to get things rolling!!!!!! Good Luck All!!

Peace,
                          FLOWJOE

Comment

Working...

]]>