title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Convert: cannot get naming to new folders to work

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JulesBrenner
    • Dec 2008

Convert: cannot get naming to new folders to work

Hello,

I have tried everything I know, could find on these forums, and even used a generic Google search to try and find out what I am doing wrong.

I have the reference version (R13).

I am trying to convert all of my WAV files to MP3, duplicating the file and folder names.

My source files are in D:\Music\Contemporary which contains folders for each artist, and each artist folder contains the albums, which contain the WAV files e.g. D:\Music\Contemporary\Pink Floyd\Wish You Were Here\[many songs.WAV].

I am converting to mp3 (Lame).

I use the following setup for Output Location:

1. Folder field is set to: D:\Music\Contemporary
    2. The Dynamic radio button is selected, and that field contains \[artist]\[album]\[title]

Everything I've read tells me that this should work. I've also tried it without the backslash before "[artist]".

My result is that all songs from all artists are converted and placed in the D:\Music\Contemporary.

Please help me! I am desperate, and bought dBpoweramp specifically to do this.

Please could someone also tell me if there is also a way to copy the tags (artist, album, etc.) into the new MP3s (or should this happen automatically)?

I'll appreciate any help I can get.
    Thanks!
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Convert: cannot get naming to new folders to work

dMC creates the dynamic naming items from the files tags. Does dMC show these files as having tags?

Use [origpath]\[origfilename] for your dynamic scheme.

Comment

• JulesBrenner
      • Dec 2008

Thanks Lt. Data,

I went and checked - no tags show up in dBpoweramp Batch Converter, or Windows Media Player v11. Bad news for me - I ripped all of my cd's to WAV (I want to keep uncompressed versions of my music before converting to MP3 high quality (home use) and MP3 compressed smaller (mobile device).

Would you have any suggestion how I can easily convert and get the tags created? Is there any way to do this for thousands of songs?

I was so sure that when I ripped the music that WMP created tags. Darn.

Anyway, I really appreciate your help, and I'm going to try the [origpath]\[origfilename] - of course, it makes sense if there are no tags.

Cheers,

Jules

PS. I just went and ran a conversion and voila! - the MP3 file has all tags! I have no idea how that happened, but am delighted.

PPS. I had tried the [origpath] before (now I remember) - and was trying to get around creating a duplicate of the full path all the way back to root. But, I can just move the folders that are created for my albums, so I'm happy with that
      Last edited by JulesBrenner; December 10, 2008, 06:35 AM. Reason: Late Breaking News

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Or just nest [TRIMFIRSTFOLDER]<rest of naming scheme>[] around your naming scheme to remove the non-wanted path.

Comment

• JulesBrenner
          • Dec 2008

Thanks again - I really appreciate the "real-time" support - it is invaluable for me.
          I'll give that a go.

Comment

Working...

]]>