title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Reinstalled Converter not working like the old one

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russell789
    • Nov 2008

Reinstalled Converter not working like the old one

I have recently done a clean reinstall of Windows (XP), and following this I reinstalled my registered copy of dBpoweramp Music Converter.
    Since then I have attempted using the tag editing DSP to attach album art to mp3 files. Previously all I had to do was make sure that the Additions had the "Import art from folder.jpg" checked and cover art was added. When I do this now it wipes all other tags.
    I have manually added exceptions in the Delete tab but having to do this is a bit annoying. Can anyone suggest why the Music Converter has changed its character like this?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Reinstalled Converter not working like the old one

What program created the tags on the files you currently have? Did dMC show tags before the files were converted? If so, what type of tags did it say they had?

Comment

• Russell789
      • Nov 2008

What program created the tags on the files you currently have? Did dMC show tags before the files were converted? If so, what type of tags did it say they had?
      The files were downloaded so what was used to create them I can't say.
      dMC did show tags prior to the conversion, track name, artist, track number, year, genre, and possibly comment.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

If you have some files that haven't been ran through dMC, go to the Audio Properties tab and see what it says for Contains: ID Tag. What it says after ID Tag is the type of tag.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Try a process of elimination:

the converted files hold the mouse over them, do tags show up?
          if not remove all dsp effects, do the converted files have tags now?
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Russell789
            • Nov 2008

If you have some files that haven't been ran through dMC, go to the Audio Properties tab and see what it says for Contains: ID Tag. What it says after ID Tag is the type of tag.
            If I understood that correctly then what it says is ID3v1.1
            the converted files hold the mouse over them, do tags show up?
            if not remove all dsp effects, do the converted files have tags now?
            Now if I understood that correctly when mousing over the files prior to doing the DSP conversion to add album art it showed tags for album, artist, track number, track name and genre.
            I also had this problem occur to files I had ripped with dMC. In that case it removed all the tags except the ones I had made exceptions for in the delete tab, and it still did not add album art, I did this manually track by track, which kind of defeats the convenience I used to enjoy.
            Last edited by Russell789; November 24, 2008, 01:17 PM. Reason: Additional information and clarity

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

ID3v1.1 cannot have album art, only ID3v2 can, so your tags would need updating.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

And only ID3v1.1 tags would explain why they all disappeared when you ran this. Because when dMC would add the album art as ID3v2 tags, it would only look for ID3v2 tags and would only find the album art.

A program I have used before that can copy ID3v1 tags to ID3v2 is "The Godfather": http://users.forthnet.gr/the/jtclipper/

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

If you set dBpoweramp Configuration >> Codecs >> Advanced

to always write id3v1 and id3v2, then use the utility codec [id tag update] it will create id3v2 from teh id3v1
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Russell789
                    • Nov 2008

Thanks to Lt and Spoon, I suspected as I typed ID3 v1.1 that that was the answer to the problem.

So, in the case of the album I ripped which lost all tags but the ones I had set as exceptions to deletions, if I remove those exceptions so the delete tab is blank, and the ID tags are v3.2 the problem will be solved?

Lt thanks for the tip on "The Godfather", cool name, but I think for the odd cases where I get v1.1 tags I will just redo them. Then again, having an app called The Godfather on the desktop would look nifty.

Spoon, could you give more specific directions for the Configuration >> Codecs >> Advanced please. Is this an additional utility codec?
                    Last edited by Russell789; November 25, 2008, 01:00 PM. Reason: Needed to respond to a number of points and my memory is not perfect, and euphony

Comment

• Wayne
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Aug 2002

Spoon, could you give more specific directions for the Configuration >> Codecs >> Advanced please. Is this an additional utility codec?
                      I assume this is refers to the dBpowerAMP Configuration program/module.

Comment

• Russell789
                        • Nov 2008

Yes Wayne, it does!
                        I was a little baffled as to where to look so I appreciate the pointer.
                        The Music Converter is described on site as "deceptively simple" and it is sometimes easy to forget there is more, much more, if you know where to look.:smile2:

Comment

• Russell789
                          • Nov 2008

Pleased to report that with the help of LtData, Spoon and Wayne the Converter is now working the way that it used to, and I have learned a bit more about how to tweak it.:D
                          Thanks to all who offered suggestions! :komisch12

Comment

• LtData
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

I recommended "The Godfather" because it has a function where it can copy the ID3v1.1 to ID3v2 with a click of a button.

Comment

Working...

]]>