title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

"ReplayGain (Apply)" DSP doesn't work on 24bit audio?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hinges
    • Apr 2008

"ReplayGain (Apply)" DSP doesn't work on 24bit audio?

As my DAP supports 24bit WMA Pro files, but not ReplayGain, I have been converting my 16bit WMA Lossless CD rips to 24bit with the "Bit Depth" DSP (to preserve as much resolution as possible - many newer CD's lose something approaching 12dB under ReplayGain, which would cut them down to 14bit resolution!), before normalising with (until now) the "Volume Normalize" DSP and compressing with WMA Pro.

On first trying the "ReplayGain (Apply)" DSP (while it was in beta), I was disappointed to find it appeared not to work on my computer - but on investigating further with the final version in DSP Effects 3.0, I have discovered it works fine for 16bit audio, but not 24bit.

This appears to be the case whether encoding from a 24bit source or using the "Bit Depth" and "ReplayGain (Apply)" DSPs in sequence.

Thanks in advance,
    hinges
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: "ReplayGain (Apply)" DSP doesn't work on 24bit audio?

Should be no limitation of 24 bit, the only limitation is that it has be to 2 channels.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hinges
      • Apr 2008

I've got it working now, but only by way of an intermediate file. The main issue is that the "Bit Depth" DSP removes the ReplayGain tags, preventing "ReplayGain (Apply)" from working.

When I previously tried converting to a 24bit intermediate file before recalculating and subsequently applying the ReplayGain tags, I used an album quiet enough to have a positive recommended album gain, which "ReplayGain (Apply)" appears to (sensibly enough) ignore. I did try changing the value of the tag to something large and negative, but it is possible I mistyped and produced an invalid tag.

Would it be possible to have the "Bit Depth" DSP preserve the ReplayGain tags, or to have the "ReplayGain (Apply)" DSP have an option to produce a different bitrate output? I understand that these can't be highly demanded features, but there's no harm in asking, right?

Thanks again,
      hinges

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

You are perhaps best using the DSP effect 'Volume Normalize' and use the ReplayGain option there (if using track gain).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hinges
          • Apr 2008

I'm afraid I'm using album gain, and worse than that, I've encountered more problems.

Firstly, in trying to convert my library to an intermediate 24bit lossless collection with replaygain tags, I appear to be hitting the issue described here:
          Hi. I'm using Ref 13.1 Batch convertor to add replayGain tags to all my files, but the album gain tags are giving me trouble... I right-click one of my library folders (contains c. 8k tracks, mixture of dBpoweramp/iTunes ripped ALAC, some iTunes+, lots of mp3 of varying bitrates, all arranged Artist/Album/tracks) and hit

This occurred when I was using the ReplayGain DSP, and again when I tried using the ReplayGain utility codec on a batch of the files that weren't tagged the first time.

The upshot of this is that I am left with an intermediate library, of which some files are replaygain tagged, and some files are not (Even more interestingly, some albums have tags, but only in a few tracks!) - so I thought I'd use the Arrange Audio utility codec to separate out those which did not have ReplayGain tags, but... I can't get it to work.

I have tried both the following arrangements (because in Edit ID Tag and in the dBpoweramp tooltips, the ReplayGain tags are called different things), but they both put all files in the "untagged" folder, even those that definitely do have the ReplayGain tags:
          "[IFVALUE]replaygain_album_gain,tagged,untagged[]\[artist]\[album]\[track] [title]"
          "[IFVALUE]album gain,tagged,untagged[]\[artist]\[album]\[track] [title]"

Thanks again for your help,
          hinges

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Try

"[IFVALUE][replaygain_album_gain,tagged],untagged[]\[artist]\[album]\[track] [title]"
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hinges
              • Apr 2008

Nope. Result is the same. Everything ends up in the untagged folder.
              I did a quick check with a different tag, and
              "[IFVALUE]composer,tagged,untagged[]\[artist]\[album]\[track] [title]"
              works fine, whereas
              "[IFVALUE][composer,tagged],untagged[]\[artist]\[album]\[track] [title]"
              ditches everything in "untagged".

I'd guess the syntax is fine, but it can't work out which tag I'm asking about. Perhaps a different name is used internally, or there's some limit on tag labels ("replaygain_album_gain" is pretty long...)?

Anyways, I've run the library through replaygain in smaller batches, so it's no longer a priority - consider this a bug report rather than a call for help.

Many thanks,
              hinges.

Comment

• Porcus
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hinges
                (Even more interestingly, some albums have tags, but only in a few tracks!)
                Some albums have a few HDCD tracks (but not all), and if you did use the HDCD DSP only those particular tracks would end up as 24 bit.

(Have you tried Foobar2000's ReplayGain processor?)

Comment

Working...

]]>