title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

LAME tag info

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesbaud
    • Jul 2006

LAME tag info

Prior to switching to dbpoweramp reference 13.1 for my encoding needs, I used a simple frontend called Multi-Frontend and lame.exe.

Multi-frontend

I also use Mr Questionman and LAMEtag to examine my MP3 files for encoder information.

Mr Questionman

LAMEtag
    On this page are a few audio utilities. They are all free and open source. The applications here are all written and tested under Windows XP but as far as I am aware they should work under any vers…

For those mp3s created with Multi-frontend and lame.exe, I am able to see specific information.

For example, when I used Multi-frontend to encode a file with LAME 3.98.2 at -V 2, Mr Questionman tells me,
    "MPEG 1 Layer III LAME 3.98r V2: preset standard (fast mode)".

(I understand that "fast mode" is a synonym for "--vbr-new" which is now the default for LAME 3.98.)

LAMEtag gives me even more information.

However, when I use dbpoweramp 13.1 reference (registered) to create MP3 files, even though the program also uses LAME 3.98, when I examine the resulting MP3s with Mr Questionman, all I get is,
    "MPEG 1 Layer III LAME 3.98." It doesn't tell me the setting that I used.

When I examine the resulting MP3s with LAMEtag, I don't get any information at all. It says, "LAME tag not found."

Why is this the case? Can it be corrected so that dmc creates the LAME tag? I would like the ability to examine all the fields in the LAME tag, as I am able to do with MP3s created with Multi-frontend.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: LAME tag info

Which encoding settings are you using? (in Lame)
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jamesbaud
      • Jul 2006

-V 2 --noreplaygain

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Works for me, hold the mouse over the mp3 file and if dBpoweramp can show -v 2 in the popup there is a valid lame header (we independantly read it, lame.exe writes it).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jamesbaud
          • Jul 2006

I never had a problem doing the mouseover thing.

My question has to do with why LAMEtag and Mr Questionman don't read this information from mp3s created with dbpoweramp. Since LAMEtag and Mr Questionman can read this information from mp3s created with lame.exe and Multi-frontend, this leads me to believe that there is something different about the way that dbpoweramp writes mp3s.

As an experiment, I used the CLI encoder and configured it with lame.exe. The mp3s created with dbpoweramp using the CLI encoder made LAME tags that were able to be read by LAMEtag and Mr Questionman.

So unless this issue is resolved, I'll be using the CLI encoder with dbpoweramp to create MP3s.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

If you turn off ID tagging (use a DSP effect to delete all id tags) dbpoweramp will not touch the .mp3 file after lame.exe has written it.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jamesbaud
              • Jul 2006

Thanks. That explains it.

Comment

Working...

]]>