title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FLAC r11 vs. r12

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aja-Oki
    • Sep 2008

FLAC r11 vs. r12

If anyone has the installation codec of release 11, I would greatly appreciate it if you could e-mail it to me at (aja oki at g mail dot com) (minus the spaces, of course).

I'm incredibly anal about my tags, in fact, one of the biggest reasons I loved dBpoweramp was because it was able to transcode my FLACs to FLACs (ie, upgrade the version) while still maintaining the tags completely as is.

If you're a Winamp user, check the tags in the advanced tab. You'll notice fields like "Artist" "Album" etc. If I defined the field as "Artist", after a transcode, it'd still be "Artist", nothing like "ARTIST" which most others would spew out. One exception was that it would change TrackNumber and DiscNumber to TRACKNUMBER and DISCNUMBER, but that was a small price to pay.

But capitalization isn't the only thing. It maintained order. If I had Artist, then Album, then Track, then, whatever, it would maintain the exact order presented.

Since I upgraded codecs, it doesn't do this. It now interprets my layour of TrackNumber : 1/20 as splitting into TRACKNUMBER : 1 and TOTALTRACK : 20, and the same general thing with DiscNumber, as well.

If I go into the advanced codec tagging options and turn off Vorbis Comment Mapping #'s 5 and 6, the tags are spared, but when transcoding, dBpoweramp doesn't know they are tracknumbers, so the file name when it should be something like "01 - Track.flac" would be " - Track.flac"

Maybe this is too anal for some, but it's perfection to me.
  • Aja-Oki
    • Sep 2008

Re: FLAC r11 vs. r12

Minor correction/elaboration, upon more testing and whatnot:

Changing the Vorbis Mappings disrupts order, regardless, but they disrupt order slightly differently. For example, I am also telling dB to calculate replay gain. The method which results in on-split tags will shove it last, but before track replay gain tags. The method which splits puts them absolute last.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

No program should rely on the order of any tags, it is just metadata.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Aja-Oki
        • Sep 2008

They don't rely upon the tags, but the tags matter to me, now there's a a big inconsistency across my collection if I continue with this release of the codec, and splitting the tags in two is retarded. Winamp doesn't support the track max tag, so it downgrades the tag on transcoding, whereas before, it kept them perfect. It actually ruins the metadata in this case.

If you have release 11, could you please e-mail it to me?

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

We do not store old versions on the server.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Aja-Oki
            • Sep 2008

Luckily, I found it on an online backup I had.

Comment

Working...

]]>