title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Slow WMA -> MP3 Conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmatthias
    • Jan 2003

Slow WMA -> MP3 Conversion

I installed the converter and WMA support. I converted a 96K WMA to 160K MP3 and it worked great (about 1 min to do the conversion).

I then installed Sveta, The Power Pack and File Selector. I then tried to convert the same file again from WMA to MP3 and the conversion was very very slow, unusable (it said it would take 30min).

I then uninstalled all illustrate products and did an XP system restore to the day before. Then I installed the converter and WMA support again. DId the conversion and it worked fine. I installed the file selector and the conversion still worked fine.

So either Sveta or the Power Pack caused the slow down (I didn't have time to test anymore).

My specs are: Windows XP Pro with all major updates. AMD 1.2GHz, 512MB.

Is this a known problem?

Thanks - Joel
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

You might have had a DSP Effect running? when the Power Pack was installed.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jmatthias
      • Jan 2003

Slow Conversion

Shouldn't all effects be turned off by default (I did not turn any on). Just a thought.

Joel

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It was just an idea, I might know what might have happened, the Power Pack gives a 'Priority' option box, the thing is WMA hates that being changed (for some reason) and it effectively stops converting (just for WMA).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jmatthias
          • Jan 2003

Will there be a fix for this (because it means I can't install the power pack if I want to do WMA -> MP3 conversions.)

Joel

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

It is fine with the Power Pack, going WMA >> Mp3 as long as that priority box is left alone.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• brazzripper
              • Jan 2003

Similar problem

I installed the PowerPack trial and it expired. I have the same sluggish performance on wma->mp3. It takes about 15 minutes to convert a 5 minute mp3. I want to convert about 300 previously ripped CD's from wma to mp3. I uninstalled the app, the power pack, and all codecs, rebooted, reinstalled the app and the wma9 codec and the same problem exists. I'm on a win98 machine so I don't have the option of rolling back. Please tell me what I can do to fix the problem! Thank you!

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Try:

start >> run

regedit.exe

browse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate

and delete the dBpowerAMP key (folder), then try a WMA conversion.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>