title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dmc converts to 'joint stereo' NOT 'stereo'

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mustang65
    • Jul 2008

dmc converts to 'joint stereo' NOT 'stereo'

Using the dbpoweramp Music Converter r13- converting to mp3 with Lame, with 2 'stereo' selected -- the files are encoded as 'joint stereo' instead of 'stereo'.... any ideas??? The previous r12.3 did not do this, but the new r13 does. Please advise.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: dmc converts to 'joint stereo' NOT 'stereo'

Try choosing "2 dual channels", that should give you stereo. Do note that joint stereo will give you better quality files, though.

Comment

• LowWaterMark
      • Jun 2008

I'm confused as to what joint stereo is. Is is a software sim of a crossfeed filter? Please fill me in.

Take Care,
      -LWM
      Last edited by LowWaterMark; July 21, 2008, 08:48 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It is where the encoder makes savings from the similarities from the stereo signal, these savings can then be used to create higher quality encodings.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Read this excellent article I found via hydrogenaudio: http://home.freeuk.net/mostync/

Comment

• bhoar
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by LtData
            Read this excellent article I found via hydrogenaudio: http://home.freeuk.net/mostync/
            Also, at the hydrogenaudio wiki: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....e=Joint_stereo

-brendan

Comment

• mustang65
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by LtData
              Try choosing "2 dual channels", that should give you stereo. Do note that joint stereo will give you better quality files, though.
              I tried "2 dual channels" -- results = dual channel mode / Any ideas why-how the 'stereo' mode doesn't provide stereo mode?

Comment

• bhoar
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mustang65
                I tried "2 dual channels" -- results = dual channel mode / Any ideas why-how the 'stereo' mode doesn't provide stereo mode?
                Did you read the links? The standard "Stereo" mode (the optimal setting) for LAME uses "Joint Stereo" which decides on a frame-by-frame basis whether the data is best represented as two unrelated channels or a mid-side transformation. Note that both methods are "stereo".

Forcing the settings to always use the two unrelated channels will result in lower-quality files at the same bit rate.

Assuming we're talking about 96kbit or higher bitrates.

-brendan

Comment

Working...

]]>