title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WMA Versions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joenavel
    • Jan 2003

WMA Versions

Problem: So I have this very cool WMA/MP3 player in my car. The WMA player has stopped working for tracks that I have recently burned, however my older burned WMA CD's still work without a problem. I hook up dBpowerAMP: first with the WMA V7 codec (because the manual says that is what's needed) but this still doesn't work. Now I am converting tracks with the WMA V8 codec, as my older ripped files show this on the tag:
    WMFSDKVers... 8.00.00.4477
    My thinking is that this means that these were all encoded with V8.

Question...
    1. Am I right? Is this the Windows media Version Number?
    2. If so, then why is it that when I encode new files with the V8 codec do i get this:
    WMFSDKVers... 9.00.00.2799
    on the track tag? That says WMA V9, right? Doesn't matter what I do. Convert tracks ripped by WMPlayer or Rip them directly from CD using DMC audio CD input and the codec for V8...I still get a tag with V9 on it.

Is this a glitch? Am I really ripping to V8? Problem is I have thousands of tracks on my computer and many of them are ripped with different WMA versions. It would be nice to know what was what. Or should I just convert everthing to MP3?

Thanks
    Joe
  • joenavel
    • Jan 2003

I just read a Previous post saying that WM V9 is a global upgrade, and that anything that tries to write to less than V9 will be overruled and written as V9 anyhow. Is this possible?

I tried to uninstall Windows Media Player via the control panel, but if you read the sneaky fine print, you'll see that uninstalling it only removes access to WMP from the start menu. (Ie deletes the shortcut...the program files still exist in the program files folder. )
    :mad: Microsoft:mad:

Anyone know how to completely delete Windows Media Player and/or revert it to previous versions?

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
    Joe

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Yes that number is the WMA version, I don't know how to remove WMA v9.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• joenavel
        • Jan 2003

Yea...I figured that out

Reload Windows...

Then prevent WMP from updating itself. In the options menu there is a spot to turn off auto update. If you want to stop being pestered to update, you can add a registry key that will disable auto update for WMP. Microsoft has instructions on how to do this, it is knowledge base article #278960.

Comment

Working...

]]>