title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Super Slow Converting Speeds

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gongos
    • Feb 2008

Super Slow Converting Speeds

I converted a few albums last night from FLAC to mp3 w/o a problem. The were converted at about 7 to 8x speeds. Today I tried to batch encode some albums and the speed has dropped down to 1x. I'm using the 30 day trial. Nothing has been altered on my computer. Any ideas?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Super Slow Converting Speeds

Look at taskmanager and CPU usage, check if something else is using the CPU.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gongos
      • Feb 2008

My system idle is using 95%+. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

And when batch encoding it is 100%? check the memory usage, if the system is paging out to a swap file this can slow everything down.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gongos
          • Feb 2008

Well, I tried it again this morning, and I'm now getting 11x speed instead of
          0.6x. The only thing I changed was I send the encoded files to a folder on my desktop instead od the 2mb flash drive I was using.

Comment

• bhoar
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gongos
            Well, I tried it again this morning, and I'm now getting 11x speed instead of
            0.6x. The only thing I changed was I send the encoded files to a folder on my desktop instead od the 2mb flash drive I was using.
            It is quite possible that the flash drive is slow *and* windows is set up to disable all filesystem caching for flash devices. If, in addition, dbpa was performing a large # of small I/O transactions, those three things, together, can destroy performance.

-brendan

Comment

Working...

]]>