title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Using DMC vs MP3Gain Question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wilcoson
    • Jan 2008

Using DMC vs MP3Gain Question

I've used MP3Gain, but it's pretty slow to analyze and add values (I have over 60,000 AAC tracks to process)..Is DMC's replaygain feature quicker and if so, if I want to use the volume normalizer DSP to apply, how do I do this? The options on the DSP are confusing as hell. I want track gain, which should be fine, but how do I get it to be say 92 db like in MP3Gain? Do I just check the Replaygain box and lower the maximum volume slider to say something like -8 db? Also, with MP3Gain, the user can undo the gain and analyze values if needed. Is DMC similarly reversible, if say I want to normalize at a different setting? Any help would be appreciated especially if DMC is faster b/c MP3Gain is slow as heck.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Using DMC vs MP3Gain Question

With ReplayGain you do not set a desired volume, the default will be around the value you were using (the stnadrd changed when Replaygain had a major update a long time ago).

ReplayGain (if applied in volume normalize) is not reversable, us the ID tag Replayain and let your player apply it on playback.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

There are 2 ways to apply ReplayGain to a file:
      The reversable ReplayGain DSP effect or utility codec. This method simply writes the ReplayGain tags to the file.
      The non-reversible Volume Normalize DSP effect with ReplayGain select. This method calculates the ReplayGain value and then alters the file by applying these values.

Comment

• wilcoson
        • Jan 2008

If I just add the Replaygain value to the ID tag only it won't be normalized for playback on an ipod then correct? The default for Replaygain is 89 db if I'm not mistaken. Is there any reason why I can't make it 92 or will DMC only do 89? Sorry for all the Q's. Sounds like I may go the outside DSP route and target MP3Gain since it's reversible and will work on an ipod.

Mike

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Correct, the ReplayGain tags will not work on an iPod.

Comment

• wilcoson
            • Jan 2008

Cool, that's what I thought. Thanks for straightening this all out for me. I'll run an external event after batch conversion then.

Spoon or LT., can one of you explain the default setting though and whether it's wise to futz with the default of 89db? Will anything higher cause problems? Based on what i'm seeing the overall avg is around 94 for most recordings if not higher. I'd hate to lose that much db if at all possible. Maybe this is a better question for a poll.

Mike

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

>wise to futz with the default of 89db?

Not it that is the standard
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...