title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Reducing volume in mp3s

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anleva
    • Jul 2007

Reducing volume in mp3s

I put some MP3's on my son's new LG enV phone. With earphones, even at the lowest possible volume setting, the songs play too loud. So I want to find the best way to reduce the volume of the files.

I converted the music files from Flac to MP3 and applied ReplayGain (track and album) as this is the standard process I use to create MP3s. Is there a way to reduce the target ReplayGain volume as I convert from Flac to MP3? Or is there another way to reduce the target volume? Should I even use the ReplayGain DSP in this case?

Thanks!
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Reducing volume in mp3s

Use the "Volume Normalize" codec and adjust the "desired volume" slider until it sounds proper.

Comment

• anleva
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by LtData
      Use the "Volume Normalize" codec and adjust the "desired volume" slider until it sounds proper.
      Thanks! Some additional questions:

1) Should I do this on the MP3 files that have been already been converted from FLAC using the ReplayGain DSP already? Or should I start from the original FLAC file and remove the ReplayGain DSP and add the Volume Normalize DSP? Is there a problem with using both ReplayGain and Volume Normalize?

2) Which setting for Volume Normalize do you recommend? Peak to Peak, ReplayGain or Adaptive? What's the differences?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

ReplayGain doesn't actually change the file, it just adds tags that players use to change the volume. Note if you use the Volume Normalize "Replay Gain" option, the files are changed.

As for which Volume Normalize Option you should use, the help file for DSPs explains how each one works, and since I have never played with it myself, I don't know which one you should use.

Comment

Working...

]]>