title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

New PC problems (Plextor 800A drives)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • demoleon
    • Apr 2006

New PC problems (Plextor 800A drives)

Hello,

I have a brand new PC running Vista Ultimate 64-bit with Plextor 800A drives. The problem I am running into is that it seems like dBpowerAMP wants to re-rip every frame on every track. I have tried several discs (they appear to be clean, no obvious flaws.) I hope I haven't upgraded hardware only to downgrade capabilities. I have c2 error correction on and have double checked the DMA settings in Hardware manager. Had no problems whatsoever on my old PC (sorry, don't know what drives I had.) Any ideas?

Thanks,
    John
  • demoleon
    • Apr 2006

Re: New PC problems (Plextor 800A drives)

A little more info on the above. I rebooted Vista and plopped in the disc I was having problems with. Ripped it with no errors or re-rips. Put in another disc (again no obvious flaws or scratches) and am back to the re-rip of every frame on every track.

Thanks,
    John

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Check your drives to see if they have dropped to PIO mode, as described here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4619

I am not sure if Vista does this, though.

Comment

• demoleon
        • Apr 2006

Its says Ultra DMA 4. I have had that happen in XP and it slowed down the drive quite a bit. Here, the drive rips at the expected speed, it just has to re-rip every frame.

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

From the HA and cdfreaks forum, it appears these drives a) offer poor C2 error detection/recovery support and b) are rebadges of optiarc (or nec?) drives, not plextor-manufactured.

Just throwing those two facts out there as they might help inform spoons response.

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

If it possibly the fact he is running XP64.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• demoleon
              • Apr 2006

I went and found my old PC configuration and it was using Optiarch drives! So if my Plextor is just a rebranded Optiarch, and I had no trouble with it under XP then that kind of points to Vista x64 as the culprit. Any ideas as to any config changes that might solve this problem (re-ripping every frame of every track when c2 error correction is on.) Right now I have c2 off so it rips each track twice (which is fine except that it takes about 7 minutes to rip and compress a CD as opposed to aroung 2 on my old system.) I rip mostly classical and opera so AccurateRip is hit or miss (mostly miss!)

Thanks,
              John

Comment

Working...

]]>