title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Organizing by artist last name

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdfuller
    • Oct 2007

Organizing by artist last name

I've just started using dbpowerAMP Music Converter to re-rip my cd collection into FLAC format. I'm using WinAmp as my music player. I've been searching for information on the forum regarding organizing and tagging the files so that they show up both in the folders on my hard drive and in WinAmp with artist Last name, First name. It seems more logical to me scroll through my music that way rather than First name Last name. (although I can see the logic to that as well)

Up until now, I've just been using the default settings on dbpowerAMP until I noticed that this is how the setting work. So my question is...is there a way to simply change this? Is it something I do when I rip the cd? Can I do it after I've ripped the cd? Can I just change the folder name manually in windows explorer or do I need to change tags? Do I need to change the tag for each individual song?

I've noticed that artist names with "The" in front are properly alphabetized when I open WinAmp, ignoring the "the". Is it something similar to that, where I just somehow let WinAmp know to alphabetize by last name rather than first?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Scott
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Organizing by artist last name

Winamp would be using the ID Tags not folders.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sdfuller
      • Oct 2007

Okay, so I understand that changing the folder name doesn't do anything. If I did want to change tags on albums that I've already ripped, what's the best method for doing that? Is there a function of dbpowerAMP that allows me to see, review and change tags or does all of that have to be done at the ripping stage or through a 3rd party program?

Would it be enough to change the artist name in the "artist" box at the top of the dbpowerAMP screen? Or are there other locations where I would need to change embedded tags?

thank again for the help.

Comment

• sdfuller
        • Oct 2007

And a follow up question...do most people alphabetize their music by artist first name? I see how it could work either way but figured it was more standard to do it Last name, First name.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

You would have to use a program to change the tags, dbpoweramp can do it, select an albums worth of files >> right click >> edit tag and change just th artist.

Most people do not have Last Name, First Name.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sdfuller
            • Oct 2007

Thank you. Now that I know how to do it, I'm thinking that I'll leave it as it is. I do appreciate the assistance though.

-Scott

Comment

Working...

]]>