title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WMA files snipped in Nero programs

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JahSun
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2003

WMA files snipped in Nero programs

I just noticed a strange effect when burning WMA's in Nero. It is present in Nero Wave editor, and other Nero products as well. A split second of the beginning of some WMA files gets cut off!

This is not completely consistent, and it is a small enough amount of audio that many songs haven't even begun to play. I noticed it with some live tracks before and assumed it to be an edit, but today I was studying some songs in the wave editor, and sure enough they were clipped less than half a second. This is noticeable when the song starts off with a percussive strum or something like that.

The tracks all play fine in DAP. Converting the WMAs to WAV and then burning or editing (lately I've been making mixes with Nero Sound Trax) works just fine as well. I suppose this isn't the hugest hassle, but it kinda sucks to have burnt a disc of WMA lossless files only to find that the cd is not a perfect replica of the original... frankly ruined if you have ears like mine. This hasn't come to my attention before, because only a small fraction of my collection is in WMA, and I used the WMA lossless to back up CDs. So it was rare that I would be burning very many WMA files to disc. Furthermore, the effect isn't noticeable on every track, and I often use crossfades in my mixes.

I imagine this has something to do with a header in the WMA file? Perhaps the MSA.dll that Nero uses is a bit wacked? I only post this here because all of my WMAs are created in DMC and I have no idea if this effect is present with WMP WMAs. I suppose I could rip some WMAs with WMP... I imagine there are simply too many variables for this to be figured out easily. Still, Spoon might know something.

I'm still rocking an older Nero 6.6 Ultra... maybe it's time to upgrade. I just hate the never ending bloatification of my wares. If something works well for you, why give up more hardrive space to a less efficient, more resource hogging app?

Anyway.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: WMA files snipped in Nero programs

Nothing to do with headers, more to do with Neros WMA decoder.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>