title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Rip CD to FLAC, now can't convert to WAV

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • relayerman
    • May 2003

Rip CD to FLAC, now can't convert to WAV

I ripped a CD I made using DMC 12.3 to FLAC 5 (v1.2.0). The FLAC files convert to WAV, but some info is missing in the WAV header (I guess) such that SoundForge can't open the file. SF says audio is UNKNOWN (should say 44,100 16 bit stereo), format is blank (should say Uncompressed), and length is 00:00:000 (should be 04:19:057). Interestingly enough I can convert an MP3 file to WAV and all info is good.

Is it the FLAC codec that is not good? Didn't have such problems with DMC R11.5.
  • Reaperman
    • Oct 2007

Re: Rip CD to FLAC, now can't convert to WAV

Hi Steven,

I don't have SoundForge, so I can't exactly duplicate your setup.
    I use the same dmc/flac versions, though, so I decided to play around a bit...after converting FLAC to WAV (right click the file in explorer, then 'convert to' to wave, all settings default) smplayer, audacity, and WMP11 were able to play the track without a problem.
    The resulting wave file does contain an ID tag - can SoundForge handle those? If you're not sure, remove it (right click the file in explorer, 'Edit ID-tag', click 'clear'), and try opening the .wav with SoundForge again.

Hope this helps...

Rolf

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Hold the mouse over the wave file (created from flac), what are the audio settings shown for the wave file?
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• relayerman
        • May 2003

Hovering of the converted WAV is says
        Type: Wave Sound
        Bit Rate: 1411kbps
        Size: (gives size of file)

The WAV file was converted from FLAC using the right-click Convert To method. In the settings for WAV in the Convert dialog I left the settings as (As Source). I tried explicitly setting 44.1, 16bit Stereo, but the conversion came out exactly the same with the same info in the hover-over.

Also, when I click the Edit ID Tag and the dialog comes up it says Contains No IDTag.

BTW, if I rip the CD straight to WAV then it works fine. Same info in the hover-over, no id-tag, but there is the correct header info for SoundForge to open the file.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Run dBpoweramp Configuration and make sure dBpoweramp is set to show Popup information (on the music converter tab), dBpoweramp gives more details.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• relayerman
            • May 2003

Sorry, should have seen that was off.

Ok, the info box for the WAV file converted from a FLAC file:

Type: Wave sound
            Size: 11.95 mb (100% of original...)
            Length: 1 minute 11 seconds
            Channels: 2(stereo)
            Sample rate: 44.1 kHz
            Sample Size: 16 bit
            Bitrate: 1,411 kbps (CD)
            Audio Quality: CD (lossless)
            Encoder Settings: PCM

I wish I could put a screenshot in here of the SoundForge Open Dialog so you can see what I'm talking about, but don't think I can.

Comment

• relayerman
              • May 2003

I just did another test:

Ripped track from CD using DMC and converting to WAV on the fly.
              Converted WAV to FLAC.
              Converted FLAC back to WAV.

I get the same error.

On the Summary tab on the WAV file properties, under Advanced, the attributes are listed. What goes missing AFTER a conversion from FLAC to WAV is the Audio Format: PCM attribute.

Only after a FLAC to WAV conversion does this happen. Does not happen when converting a CD track or converting MP3 to WAV. Right now it appears to be just FLAC.

Yes, players seem to not choke on the WAV file, but I can't edit the WAV in SoundForge unless that Audio Format attribute is present.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Can you sen me 2 small wave files, one ripped direct from cd, the other converted from flac (so they should be the same):

Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• relayerman
                  • May 2003

3 files sent in one zipped file. Thanks.

Comment

Working...

]]>