title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

M4A to MP3 Conversion Question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDP
    • Oct 2007

M4A to MP3 Conversion Question

In converting M4A files to MP3, can I be assured of retaining the maximum quality existing in the M4A version by using the same Bitrate and Frequency settings in the MP3 Lame generated file... or do I need to bump up the Bitrate and/or Frequency settings for the MP3. I realize the MP3 quality can't be better than what's in the M4A. Also, I realize that the space requirements for the different formats won't be the same for the same settings.

Since space isn't so much an issue, for M4A files ( 44000 Hz, 128 K Bitrate ) would using ( 48000 Hz, 160K Bitrate ) for the MP3 generated files be a preferred approach to try to get as much quality as possible. Since I'm not familiar with how the encoder algorithms for the two formats work, I don't really know if that would help or not.
    Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: M4A to MP3 Conversion Question

Eah time you convert lossy to lossy you loose a little quality, even using the highest bitrate mp3 will loose a little (but not so you would hear it).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

Re: M4A to MP3 Conversion Question

To expand on what Spoon has said:
      To maintain the maximum quality of your m4a files, leave them as they are.
      If you do need to convert them to mp3, I don't think increasing frequency will be helpful (unless you need to change the frequency). Increasing the mp3 bitrate to 160 kbs might help but you might not notice any improvement over an mp3 bitrate of 128 kbs. Your best bet is to try converting a few different m4a files to each mp3 setting and to see if you can determine any difference. I would not bother with trying mp3 bitrates over 160 kbs for these files.

Best wishes,
      Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>