title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Using External drive to archive!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CheechOZ
    • Apr 2007

Using External drive to archive!

I am not sure what i should do here, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this matter that is just bothering me to no end! I read somewhere that ripping discs from external enclosed drives is not the same as internal ones! So what I want to know, is there any degrading audio quality ripping from an external enclosed USB drive (It's a Plextor), as compared to an internal IDE drive (also a Plex). This might sound stupid, but please explain the differences, if any, thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Using External drive to archive!

Try with AccurateRip that will tell 100% if rips are without error. Many enclosures have problems supporting the advanced ripping features, such as c2 or FUA cache disable, apart from that they rip ok.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2006

My summary:

Code:
      Interface	Pros					Cons

SCSI		Supports All Drive Features		Most SCSI drives are old and slow.
      IDE		Supports All Drive Features		Susceptable to DMA->PIO Windows "feature".
      SATA		Supports All Dirve Features		Newer, may have other windows/bios driver issues.
      Firewire	Most compatible of external interfaces	Some bridges don't support all drive features
      USB 2.0		Most common of external interfaces	Most bridges don't support all drive features
      USB 1.x		None					Slow and awful.
      By "drive features" I mean one or more of: cache probing/enable/disable, c2 error probing/detection, overread, etc.

<spoon: edited so can see text>
      -brendan
      Last edited by Spoon; October 09, 2007, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

I am running Vista and have a IDE cd-rom drop down to PIO mode on a bad disc (suddenly interrupts are taking up 100% of one cpu when ripping), vista automatically went back to DMA mode after about 5 mintues.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
          I am running Vista and have a IDE cd-rom drop down to PIO mode on a bad disc (suddenly interrupts are taking up 100% of one cpu when ripping), vista automatically went back to DMA mode after about 5 mintues.
          That would seem to indicate that, unlike XP/2000/2003, Vista will automatically negotiate back up to DMA after it drops an IDE channel down to PIO mode. One can only hope that fix ends up being back-ported in the next XP service pack...

-brendan

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

There is a registry entry you can make that will have XP put the drive back in DMA mode after a few successful reads, it has worked fine for me in XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472/

Comment

• CheechOZ
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
              Try with AccurateRip that will tell 100% if rips are without error. Many enclosures have problems supporting the advanced ripping features, such as c2 or FUA cache disable, apart from that they rip ok.

Oh so as long as the rips are coming out accurate rip certified or secure by two passes, then I'm assured of clean and error free rips?

Comment

Working...

]]>