title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

What will go wrong with this compilation approach?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Empgamer
    • Aug 2007

What will go wrong with this compilation approach?

Just been ripping some compilation CDs and they seem to have taken a different approach to each other by default. I think I've sorted it but am not sure what I may be messing up by doing this way. I am using Lt Datas naming scheme but MAY also try the iTunes one posted by a user at some stage given it's similar way of dealing with Compilations (v Various Artists):

[IFCOMP]Compilations[album][IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][album][IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] [title][]

Back to the original question. 50 Festive Favourites which is a compilation had the 'Various Artists' in the Artist Box, no tick in the Compilation box and it went into the Various Srtists folder in my FLAC Library and was correctly placed in two folders (xxx Disc 1 and xxx Disc 2).

In contrast 'Mellow Jazz' a 2 Disc compilation also, insisted on creating two folders in the main library Mellow Jazz Disc 1 and Disc 2. My preference is for all this 'Various' stuff to go into the various artists folder, not in it's own folder. Through trial and error I noticed that if I unchecked the Compilation box and typed in Various Artists as opposed to the deafult <Various Artists> that was appearing in the box, it went to the right place.

It seems that unchecking the 'Compilation' box makes the album go to a Folder marked Various if Various Artists is enclosed in <> and that removing them AND unchecking the box makes it go to the right place. Seems odd that some seem to go in right from the start and some don't, presumably down to CD creation process. It seems that using the Compilation box will create afolder of the album name (and probably disc 1 and disc 2 folders if applicable) and that changing from <Various Artists> to Various Artists will change it from putting the album in a Various folder and a Various Artists Folder respectively.

What I'm not quite sure of is how this is all working and why some albums seem to go in one way (correctly by deafult) and other seem to need fiddling with. I'm also not sure if forcing these 'paths' for albums might be building in problems in my library that I'm not aware of yet?
    Last edited by Empgamer; September 25, 2007, 12:10 PM.
  • Empgamer
    • Aug 2007

Re: What will go wrong with this compilation approach?

Any thoughts on the above at all? I've encountered no problems with players yet with albums being forced (perhaps incorrectly) into this approach to folders (e.g. EVERYTHING where artist is various into Various Artists) but I'm not sure if I wil come across a problem which I'd rather avoid before I rip. That said, it does seem to be a naming, rather than a tagging, issue so it's probably a case of just moving around folders and files on the PC anyway.

Comment

• Wayne
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Aug 2002

Is the problem with the Meta Data being downloaded from AMG/freedb that is not correctly identifying certain Compilation Albums as being a compilation.

Maybe Spoon can tell us how/when the CD Ripper sets the compilation flag?

Wayne

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It detects different artist names, you can manually check the box. Make sure you have R12.3
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>