title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Is it possible / desireable to use Flac version 1.2.1?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magnus_CA
    • Sep 2007

Is it possible / desireable to use Flac version 1.2.1?

FLAC 1.2.1 was recently released on sourceforge.net. Is it possible/desireable to use this version with dMC or is the version obtained through dBpoweramp Configuration the only supported version of the codec?

Thanks in advance for the replies!
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Is it possible / desireable to use Flac version 1.2.1?

You can only use it with the CLI codec and the FLAC.exe. See the beta section of this forum for a FLAC codec based on FLAC 1.2.0.

Comment

• cableguy
      • Nov 2007

Just joined the FLAC population and I'm on a learning curve. I was about to ask the same question about upgrading 1.2.1 codec in dBpoweramp. Can you simplify your answer a bit please and explain. Much appreciated.

Comment

• Wayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by cableguy
        Just joined the FLAC population and I'm on a learning curve. I was about to ask the same question about upgrading 1.2.1 codec in dBpoweramp. Can you simplify your answer a bit please and explain. Much appreciated.
        If you wish to take advantage of flac 1.2.1 you will have to install the CLI codec and point it to where you have installed the 1.2.1 version of flac.exe.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Or use this beta codec:

Download: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/dBpoweramp-Codec-FLAC.exe (this update is significantly faster when encoding to network drives) Changes: Flac updated to 1.2.1 Description handled for Album Art FLAC encoder can sense the expected ID Tag size and automatically sets padding (saves whole flac file being
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• cableguy
            • Nov 2007

Hi thanks. Still a bit confused so here's a summary: My scenario is that I am ripping all 400 cds to a NAS drive networked to a Sonos zone player system. My philosophy is highest possible quality irrespective of ripping speed. I'm only going to do this once!!! I don't want to mess too much with codec types and special DSP effects. The folder .jpg appears on the Sonos controller so the ripper is doing it's job. Simplicity is key in this instance. I realise this takes longer but I'm ripping directly to the NAS because I'm doing a one-on-one swap out with existing MP3 files. Some of the settings are as follows:
            Codec: 1.2.0.
            Encoder quality 8 (best).
            Accurate/ultra secure on.
            Verify: on.
            PC: Dell Dimension 5000, 3.2 Ghz processor, 2Gb ram, Windows XP.
            Questions:
            1) Will this configuration produce the best audio quality rip possible irrespective of time?
            2) Are there any other genuine worthwhile settings?
            3) I am only interested in audio quality. Does Flac 1.2.1. have anything to do with improved audio quality or is it just exclusively for tags and album art etc?
            4) What is CLI and how does it work and differ from the poweramp GUI?

Many thanks,
            Tommy.

Comment

• Ney
              • Nov 2007

1) I can't think of something that should rip more securely that those settings
              2) Edit: I just thought of the "vary drive speed each pass" setting, might be worth enabling
              3) The good thing about lossless is that it is exactly that, lossless. So new versions of FLAC will only improve compression ratio, compression speed, and metadata handling.
              4) CLI = Command Line Interface. I have no experiences with using the FLAC encoder from CLI so can't help you here.

Btw, NAS, FLAC and Sonos = yum! I'm hopefully getting a sonos system for myself as a christmas present from me to me Good luck!
              Last edited by Ney; December 03, 2007, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Try using the beta "Local Encoder" to speed up ripping your CDs to the NAS.
                2. If your drive support C2, make sure to enable that.
                3. Lossless always has lossless audio quality, the only difference between versions of FLAC is encoding/decoding speed.

Comment

• cableguy
                  • Nov 2007

Thanks guys. Seems what I have is perfect for what I need. For me it's just the music.
                  Cheers.

Comment

Working...

]]>