title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FLAC to MP3 (LAME) conversion query (Ipod)?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Empgamer
    • Aug 2007

FLAC to MP3 (LAME) conversion query (Ipod)?

I've searched on Ipod and have brought up a gazillion entries but none seem to answer what is doubtless a simple question.

I have ripped my CDs to the PC in FLAC and use MM to play them back on the PC and through streamers. For the Ipod, do they read/play MP3 files in LAME or must they have a specific Ipod MP3 format (I've seen references to M4a/b)?

Essentially I'm looking for the best MP3 format for my Ipod and the best way to convert FLAC files to that format.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: FLAC to MP3 (LAME) conversion query (Ipod)?

mp3 lame will be fine on the ipod, early ipods had problems with vbr (variable bit rate) though.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Empgamer
      • Aug 2007

Thanks Spoon. Do I need to set anything anywhere that affects the naming convention so that iTunes/Ipod will read it or does the converter deal with all that?

I will probably use iTunes to load the Ipod as it seem most hassle free. Would I be correct in assuming that I can/should drag the copied files into the iTunes library or does the converter allow a path to be set so they are converted from FLAC into LAME MP3 and put in the right folder(s) from the outset?

Sorry if all this seems REALLY basic but I've only just got an Ipod and just started with software like this and, essentially, while I'm happy to use iTunes to manage my Ipod library and load tracks, I don't want to use it for anything else. I am planning to start a whole rip of my CD collection to FLAC using this software and then converting the lot to MP3 for my Ipod and I'd like to make it all as easy as possible.

I suppose at some stage I have to factor in Replay Gain but I'm not quite sure where and when that comes in? After the MP3 conversion or while doing it?

I suspect a full FLAC rip of the library followed by an overnight conversion to MP3 may be the best option?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

If you have dBpoweramp Reference, you can use dynamic naming to put the output into a structure like iTunes uses.
        Note that Replay Gain isn't supported on the iPod. If you wanted to do it anyway, if you have the PowerPack or Reference, you can use the "ReplayGain" DSP effect to apply the effect while you are converting to mp3.

Comment

• Empgamer
          • Aug 2007

That's what I'm after. Is there somewhere that indicates how to use it?

I've converted some tracks to MP3 into the iTunes folder and had two problems:

1) It didn't create any folders for the artists/albums

2) iTunes doesn't see the tracks in it's playlist.

Would this be because the facility you mention hasn't been used and as such iTunes doesn't 'see' them. It only recognises them if I then 'Import' using iTunes an pointing to each track one at a time :(

Is there any known issue with using Media Monkey as a player with MP3 tracks as far as you know, e.g. it renaming all tracks as Media Monkey files which iTunes doesn't recognise? Up until installing MM all my tracks that were not FLAC had a Windows Media Player symbol. Now they all have the MM symbol and when hovering the pointer over them a large Media Monkey info tab open up. Quite happy with MM as a player provided it's not screwing things up.

And finally, am I correct in assuming that when ripping to FLAC there is nothing I can do in the naming options that will prevent album art being used?? Somehow I seemed to lose it yesterday for a while when I messed with the filenaming (unless I'd switched to another profile and had not ticked embed art as a JPG).

Comment

• Empgamer
            • Aug 2007

I have got the ripping of CDs into a FLAC library with Reference fine. I'm still not entirely decided whether to use EAC but, and it's a fairly big but for me, DBPA uses the AMG media link to embed album art which will be useful later for Sonos and probably the Ipod. I am going to see if I can get to grips with it's tagging and fileneaming before I do the full rip (which I had planned to have finished by now!!!!!). Not having to go back an piddle around with album art later is a big attraction.

The biggest problem I have though is how to EASILY convert ALL of the FLAC albums into the iTunes folder in such a way that iTunes both sees and plays them without a hitch. And by Easy I mean:

i) Converts a large block of selected albums
            ii) All in one sitting (regardless of how long it takes)
            iii) Into a format iTunes/Ipod uses (M4A??)(I have just about every codec installed including the Nero AAC etc AND it's widget in the Program files)
            iv) Places them in the iTunes folder
            v) Creates folders for the artist and individual albums
            vi) Takes art with it if available

Now THAT is proving to be a real pain in the butt to such an extent that I'm seriously considering ripping the lot once in FLAC and then again to a different folder (or even PC) using iTunes.

The problem I have is that I have had some success with the conversions using dBpowerAMP Converted and putting them into the folder I have set as the deafult for iTunes BUT:

a) I have not found a way to block convert loads of albums and have Converter create the folders etc and put tracks in them
            b) I cannot even get it to put one folder across into the iTunes folder automatically
            c) If I create the folder manually iTunes does not see it or anyhting in it
            d) If I just copy the tracks into the iTunes folder with no folder it doesn't even see them!!!
            e) On opening iTunes it is not recognising the hundred or so tracks that are now in there and they are not showing up either.

The only way I seem to be able to get iTunes to see them is to Import track by track which is frankly a pain and if that is the best I can do I will re-rip the whole lot in iTunes instead. It must be easier than this though.

So, if anyone can recommend a set up guide or kindly give details of what settings I need to change to achieve a - e above I'd be most grateful.

That's all I want to do, rip my collection in FLAC and convert another copy of it into iTunes. Sounds like it shouldn't be hard but it is proving to be. I'm beginning to wonder if it needs to be a two part process?

1) Convert all albums to a temporary MP3/M4A folder
            2) Import everything from that folder when done.

Seems a damn longwinded way of doing it though.

One thing that I'm not sure of is whether Media Monkey is causing any problems. Every MP3 I have on the system is now labelled as Media Monkey file. Now I notice that if I drag an MP3 into My Music/MP3 which is the directory MM is set to use, it sees it and it appears in the playlist. If I do that with the iTunes folder iTunes DOES NOT see it or list in the library. Is this an iTunes foible/problem or is it something Monkey Media does to files and iTunes can't see them. If it's the latter MediaMonkey gets ripped out and binned.
            Last edited by Empgamer; August 27, 2007, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Empgamer
              • Aug 2007

I think I may be getting there now, thanks to the help here and some trial and error:

I have found the batch coverter.

I can fire the albums across into the deafult iTunes folder (but I am not sure yet if this is the BEST place for it) and it creates a folder for the artist and album.

I have used the M4A Nero AAC codec but am now using the LAME as I think/hope the Ipod will play that and that the sound will be better. Not sure whether using LAME will cause any naming or other recognition issues with iTunes or the Ipod???

I notice that when I converted some albums which were ripped using the 02 of 13 track numbering convention that seems to show up in iTunes too instead of the plain 01, 02, 03 that is listed in the folders. I suppose iTunes is reading that from the original tag???

The main problem is that I just can't seem to get iTunes to recognise that the folders/tracks are in it's library when bacth converter puts them there though. Indded I'm not sure if that's how it works or if it's supposed to see them. I can't seem to find a -re-scan library facility either and the only way I seem to be able to do it is folder by folder with the Import Folder option. I'm not sure if Consolidate Library is what I need to do to get it to recognise the 30 or so albums I want to put in it????.

I have it in my head that once the folders and contents have been placed in the default file source for iTunes that they will just show up. Is that not the case?
              Last edited by Empgamer; August 27, 2007, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

At the same bitrate, m4a will normally be better quality than mp3, but each person has their own opinion on this matter.
                As for the "02/13", that is probably how the files were tagged, yes.
                I think you will still have to import the tracks into iTunes even if you put the files into the iTunes directory. I have not used iTunes in this fashion, so I cannot tell you specifics.

Comment

• cableguy
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Empgamer
                  I think I may be getting there now, thanks to the help here and some trial and error:

I have found the batch coverter.

I can fire the albums across into the deafult iTunes folder (but I am not sure yet if this is the BEST place for it) and it creates a folder for the artist and album.

I have used the M4A Nero AAC codec but am now using the LAME as I think/hope the Ipod will play that and that the sound will be better. Not sure whether using LAME will cause any naming or other recognition issues with iTunes or the Ipod???

I notice that when I converted some albums which were ripped using the 02 of 13 track numbering convention that seems to show up in iTunes too instead of the plain 01, 02, 03 that is listed in the folders. I suppose iTunes is reading that from the original tag???

The main problem is that I just can't seem to get iTunes to recognise that the folders/tracks are in it's library when bacth converter puts them there though. Indded I'm not sure if that's how it works or if it's supposed to see them. I can't seem to find a -re-scan library facility either and the only way I seem to be able to do it is folder by folder with the Import Folder option. I'm not sure if Consolidate Library is what I need to do to get it to recognise the 30 or so albums I want to put in it????.

I have it in my head that once the folders and contents have been placed in the default file source for iTunes that they will just show up. Is that not the case?
                  Hi let me get this straight: You have FLAC files which you batch converted to another format into a holding folder and all albums remained individual? You did this without opening each album folder?
                  Cheers.

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

I do exactly what you are trying to do. putting files in itunes directory is not enough. the last step would be to then select FILE then ADD DIRECTORY then itunes will add every file in that directory and all subdirectories. if file is already in itunes library it wll not add again. so every time I create new mp3 files I simply add the directory and the new files get added to library. it takes a while because it does check each file to determine if it is "new" and should be added. again, you don't do this file at a time, you simply do the one command at the highest folder level with all your itunes files.

Comment

Working...

]]>