title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

please clarify proper workflow

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trtlrock
    • Jul 2007

please clarify proper workflow

OK...now I'm registered, and have made some decisions about codecs, etc.

I'm going to rip my 1500-2000 CD collection into FLAC. I'm using the dMC 1.1.4 version, along with 12.2R. I have a powerful fast core duo machine. The drive I'm using does not support C2. FYI primary FLAC playback is with a Sonos system. AAC or ALAC is solely for car use.

Question#1: I want to be able to have either AAC or ALAC available for 80g iPod use. I have downloaded Nero & dMC m4A-R6 for this purpose. It seems like it would be much faster to rip solely into FLAC, and then use Batch Convert to get my AACs and/or my ALACs if/when I need them. OR, I could rip via the multi-encoder into either FLAC + ALAC, or FLAC + AAC at the same time. However, this seems a lot slower. Can someone list the pros & cons of each approach, especially as it might impact tagging, etc.

Question #2: I'm pretty confused as to when the best time is, and what the best method is, to fix metadata errors. Am I assuming correctly that fixing the mistakes in dMC after retrieving meta but before ripping is the best way to go? What are the pros & cons of this approach, compared to ignoring mistakes and lazily assuming I'll deal with them later.

Thanks...
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: please clarify proper workflow

1. Using the multi-encoder means you don't get a "folder.jpg" in the folder, you don't get AccurateRip data as tags, and you cannot use DSP effects on the files. However, it is faster than doing two conversions, if nothing else.
    However, doing two conversions lets you use DSP effects, gets you the folder.jpg, and is probably faster during the second conversion. This is because during the second conversion you convert one file on each CPU. I believe when you use Multi-Encoder, it does one file-type per CPU. However, Spoon would have the final opinion on which is faster.

2. Before ripping would be the best time, yes.

Comment

Working...

]]>