title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

File Deletion Bug in Multi Encoder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeCerm
    • Feb 2005

File Deletion Bug in Multi Encoder

When using the Multi Encoder with a WMA file as source, and WMA as one of the targets, with "Original Folder" as destination, the conversion fails, and the original file is deleted. This is the error that you see:

Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'E:\New Folder\TestFile.wma' to 'E:\New Folder\TestFile.IGNORE'
    Windows Media Audio 10: Error overwriting file 'E:\New Folder\TestFile.wma'

I learned this the hard way. I was trying to convert a WMA Lossless file to a number of lossy formats (including WMA) for comparison. I didn't see the little note at the bottom of the Multi Encoder codec configuration that says, "Information: Existing Audio Files are Ovewritten without Prompt". (Note to Spoon: Overwritten is misspelled) That warning should be a bit more noticeable, closer to the top of the window, and bold or something. It's too easy to do a lot of damage.

After the conversion failed, files for all of the other formats I had chosen were created, but the there was no new WMA file, and the source WMA Lossless file was deleted. (I had to use a file recovery program to get the original back, but for most people it would have been gone for good.)

The only format that exhibits the file deletion bug is WMA. All of the other formats that I've tried with overwrite without prompt (unfortunately), but will not throw out an error and delete both files.
    Last edited by MikeCerm; July 03, 2007, 03:38 AM. Reason: Misspelling (happens to us all)
Working...

]]>