title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

problem with Converter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • komakinojd
    • Jun 2007

problem with Converter?

I'm using dbpowerAMP r12.2 Reference. Yesterday and the day before I converted two 40-GB sets of WAVs (ripped with dbpowerAMP) to FLAC (compression level 5, with option to verify written audio, and DSP option to delete erroneous destination files), and each conversion took roughly 3 hours. Today, soon after booting the PC, I tried to convert another 40-GB set of WAVs (from the same hard-drive as the original WAVs) to FLAC, but after 5 hours, only about half of the WAVs had been converted, and the Converter said that it still had 4 hours to go! I watched it for a few minutes at this point and it seemed to convert track after track slowly, but at a sustained pace. (Last night, I shut down the computer, so that computer has not been on day after day.)

Why would it suddenly have taken 9-10 hours to do what was previously a 3-hour task?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: problem with Converter?

Both batches of files were coming from the same hard drive and going to the same hard drive, correct?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Bring up task manager and see if anything else is taking the cpu time.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• komakinojd
        • Jun 2007

Yes, all the WAVs being read and the FLACs being written were from the same hard drive.

I didn't look at Task Manager before cancelling the conversion. However, in all cases (both previously, when the conversions were quick, and presently, when they were slow) I blocked all Internet Activity in my ZoneAlarm Suite, so no updates were running. In general, I have hardly any exogenous applications on my PC (ZoneAlarm, OpenOffice, Adobe Reader, AIM, Nero Burner, InterVideo DVD player, WinAmp, and PDF Creator), and I had not launched any other applications during the conversion.

To be more specific, the "slow" session involved encoding at 7x, while the "fast" sessions involved encoding at ~25x.

After cancelling the slow session, I deleted all the new FLACs from that session, re-booted my PC, and re-converted the WAVs in two, ~20-GB sessions, both of which were "fast" (~25x).

Comment

Working...

]]>