title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

A few questions before I transcode my entire flac collection to aac

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EliC
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: A few questions before I transcode my entire flac collection to aac

Originally posted by dave_in_gva
    Hi,
    1. My first question is whether I should select VBR or CBR and what other options I should select.
    I would appreciate feedback here as well. My ipods gen 3&4, have had problems with VBR lame MP3 files. Is this problem present with aac files? What about nero aac files?

I want to end up with files for the iPod at about 224 kb/s in terms of file size and sound quality.
    JMHO, but probably alot higher bitrate then you need, especially sine you have the flac backup. Do some ABX testing, check out the listening test on hydrogenaudio, or just listen to a few yourself. I find ~128 VBR to be more then enough for me.

2. Unfortunately it is not stated explicitly in the other thread what options or buttons I should click on within the volume normalize DSP to do this - there is a choice for ReplayGain within the volume normalize DSP but there is also a post saying the DSP help file says this choice does NOT use tags and instead physically changes the file.
    Normally replay gain values are stored as tags, but in this case the replay gain values will be used to set volume normalization level which will permanently change the new transcoded song (your original flac file is still lossess)

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Personally, my iPod plays Nero VBR AAC files just fine. Also, I believe VBR AAC files have never had problems on iPods, though I might be mistaken.

As for Nero AAC files, they are no different than iPod-made AAC files and should behave the same.

Comment

• EliC
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Originally posted by LtData
        Also, I believe VBR AAC files have never had problems on iPods, though I might be mistaken.
        I didnt mean to imply that they had. But they do have some problems with VBR MP3 files and I wasnt sure if this extened to VBR aac, especially since apple did not have VBR aac encoding for some time (though they had ABR)

As for Nero AAC files, they are no different than iPod-made AAC files and should behave the same.
        Well, they have different psychoacoustic models, different allocations of bitrate, ect that may result in some different processing...

Comment

• bontakun88
          • Jul 2008

I'm converting audio files in flac to aac and I use the Volume Normalize with ReplayGain option but I would like to increase the volume of the audio files.
          I didn't understand the option Maximum Amplification and the connection of this with Desired Volume. Can someone explain me these options, please?

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Did you read the DSP help file first, to see if that helped any?

Comment

• bontakun88
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by LtData
              Did you read the DSP help file first, to see if that helped any?
              Yes, but I can't understand how to use them. I saw setting in desired volume a value higher than 0 the volume increase but I didn't understand what is maximum amplification

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Set to use ReplayGain and leave the scale on the right on the default (right at the top).
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bontakun88
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
                  Set to use ReplayGain and leave the scale on the right on the default (right at the top).
                  yes, this is already done but I would to increase the volume

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Then you will induce clipping where your audio goes over maximum scale (which is not good).
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bontakun88
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
                      Then you will induce clipping where your audio goes over maximum scale (which is not good).
                      Yes, I have seen. I'm thinking how do. I'm converting the songs with replay gain which normalizes at 89db but for my ipod it looks a little low.
                      I would to know what Maximum amplification is so it could me be useful.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

ReplayGain slightly quietens most tracks, it needs to do this for the quiet tracks which really need 'boosting', so they would not clip.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>