title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

96/24 flac file, does it end up 96/24?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smata67
    • Jun 2007

96/24 flac file, does it end up 96/24?

I know the answer is in here somewhere, but I search and can't find. I have some 96/24 recorded songs in flac from archive.org and I would like to preserve this resolution and burn to disc. Will dBP do this for me, or do I lose something? Can I just burn to a CD and get the higher rez if dBP does not downconvert or do I have to put it on a DVD?
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: 96/24 flac file, does it end up 96/24?

It is not quite clear what you are asking or what you are referring to as dBP.

If you want to copy your 96/24 FLAC files to CD as such, you are really talking about copying them as data files. This requires no special effort but if you want to preserve some of the formatting and organization a burning program could be helpful. But if you want to burn these to a CD in standard audio CD format I am fairly sure they will be converted to 16 bit, 44.1 kHz frequency. Such a CD could be re-ripped to 96/24 but I suspect something would be lost in the transition.

By dBP are you referring to dBpowerAMP CD Writer (usually referred to as dCW) or are you referring to dBpowerAMP Music Converter (usually referred to as dMC)?

If you could clarify these points, we might be able to provide a more specific response to your question.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

If you are wanting to burn an audio CD, you do realize that an audio CD is 16-bit and 44.1KHz, right? If you are wanting to burn an audio disc that is 24/96, I think you would have to burn a "DVD-Audio" disc to keep that quality. See some authoring tools and other information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio.

Comment

• smata67
        • Jun 2007

I'm not smart enough on this to even ask the question properly...

I have run my 96/24 flac files thru DBPower Amp Converter and now have them in .wav format and based on what the properties window is telling me, they are in 96/24 rez, so that's good. It appears they were not downconverted. They are also quite large, 300K or so each, so the 10 of them will not fit on a CD as is, so I would like to burn them to DVD. My DVD player does not play .wav format files, so I'm guessing I need to convert them to DVD-V (and end up w/ VIDEO and AUDIO directories like regular DVDs) or author them as DVD-A.

Is there freeware out there that will allow me to do either? Can I retain the 96/24 resolution with DVD-V, I know I can with DVD-A, but don't know how to do that either.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

My link above tells you how to author DVD-A discs, though I'm not sure if any of the programs listed are free or not. Also, according to here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video DVD-V discs can have a 96/24 audio track, though it must be PCM.

Comment

Working...

]]>