title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Secure vs burst

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnTholiday
    • Apr 2007

Secure vs burst

I tried doing a search on this subject but couldn't really find anything related to my question.

I am ripping CDs using a lossy format (ogg, MP3) for playback on the PC and a
    personal playback device, and wonder if I would hear a difference in sound quality if I just rip CDs in burst mode. At the present time I do not have enough HD space to use a lossless format, so I am not doing any kind of
    archiving.

Thanks.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Secure vs burst

If your CD is in AccurateRip (AR) and you have AR configured properly, if your disc matches what is in AR, then the mode doesn't matter, the first pass will match AR and it will be marked Accurate and Secure. However, secure mode is useful for matching CDs that are not in AR or don't match what is in AR.

Comment

• SnTholiday
      • Apr 2007

So far I have only one CD that has not been in AR, but there are some that are inaccurate compared to AR but rip securely in secure mode. Do you think there would be any difference in sound quality for CDs that come back inaccurate but are ripped in burst mode vs secure?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

It depends on the condition the CD is in. If it is a new CD, then it shouldn't matter. If it is somewhat scratched, then secure mode might get a better rip. However, if you listen to the tracks and they sound fine, then stick with them.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

If the cd was ripped with an error (regardless if ripping to lossy or lossless), depending on the cd drive, you might hear pops and clicks.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• javajeff
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jan 2006

I just bought Mighty Like A Rose from Elvis Costello, and it did not rip as Accuraterip, but it is secure. This is the original WB release new and sealed, and not a new reissue from Ryko I believe. Why would a popular 1991 CD not be in AccurateRip? Maybe I don't understand how it works. Also, I had a U2 CD, "All That You Can't Leave Behind," where two tracks were not AccurateRip. Now, this CD I bought used and has a few small not very deep scuffs. However, when I burned the two tracks over and over again, one would rip as AccurateRip, but the other one would just not do it. They both sound fine.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Remember that CDs get into AccurateRip by users submitting them. Just because the CD is old and popular doesn't mean that it is necessarily in AccurateRip.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Plus cds are repressed all the time, your 1991 cd if bought new might have been made last year with different audio data...
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>