title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

sloooow rip speeds?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markeh
    • Apr 2007

sloooow rip speeds?

My old system used to show rip numbers like 20-22x. The new system started out showing numbers like 30-32x, if I remember correctly.
    But after a few weeks of setting up the new system, it shows 7-8x, eventually ending up at 13-14%. Way too slow.

When ripping, core converter shows about 15-30% cpu. cdgrab is about 1-2%. System idle shows about 70%

On the old system, task manager used to show almost 100% cpu, and show which of the dual cpu's it was using. On the new system, it started showing which CPU, but no longer shows that.

Over that time, in addition to lots of software (re-creating the old, fried system) I added a second cd/dvd drive (on the same string) and a second hard disc.

Here is data on one of the two drives that I'm using:

Manufacturer: TSSTcorp
    CD Drive: CD/DVDW TS-H652L
    Firmware: 0603
    Serial: 0607 MULT
    Maximum Speed: 7056 KB/sec (x40)
    Current Speed: 7056 KB/sec (x40)
    Spin-down After: 2 minutes
    Buffer Size: 2 MB
    Accurate Stream: Yes
    C2 Error Pointers: Yes
    Reads ISRC: Yes
    Reads UPC: Yes

Testing the drive with Nero also shows about 40x

System is AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4600+. System has 4gb ram.

Any suggestions??

making dbpoweramp work is becoming a full time job :cry:
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: sloooow rip speeds?

Are you using a trial or a registered version of dMC? To find out, see the "Need to find your version?" link below.

Comment

• markeh
      • Apr 2007

Re: sloooow rip speeds?

dBpoweramp Music Converter
      Release 12.1
      Registration Status
      Reference: Registered
      All Media Guide: 350 Days Access Remaining

Comment

• markeh
        • Apr 2007

OK - more data

It appears that the problem is the CD "communication" setting. Setting this to "windows internal" gets back up to max speed. I can use both drives at the same time and get reasonably high rip speeds. I have seen as many as three instances of coreconverter working at the same time.

But I don't understand why. Both drives, on the same string, are not SATA (as the bug report mentioned). They are EIDE, or maybe PATA. Big parallel connectors.

A couple of other oddities. I had never fooled with this setting before, and when I first installed this computer rips were at high speed. Default is apparently "SCSI Pass Through"

What changed ? two things. One - I installed the second drive on the same string. Two - I purchased Dbpower amp, and then installed the latest version. I have no idea if the "free" trial I was using was different code, but I was within my trial window, maybe plus a week or two because my old system fried and I reinstalled it on the new system from the old download.

One other oddity. If I set communication to Windows Internal, rip a cd, then reset to SCSI pass through, kill and restart dbpowerAMP, and don't remove/reinsert the CD, the rip is still at high speed. Apparently the drive "mode" is set in the Windows Internal mode, and the rip is still at high speed even though the communication method has been reset.

There is nothing unusual about my two drives, or the way they are attached. I consider this a bug, since I lose some functionality to make the product work.

Any additional comments/suggestions would be welcome.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Re: OK - more data

It might be you had an option set which Windows Internal will not use, such as C2 pointers.

Also check in device manager for yor IDE controller that it has not reverted to PIO instead of DMA, this is covered in detail in CD Ripper help.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>