title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Apple Lossless (file size on conversion)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RBOllie
    • Jun 2007

Apple Lossless (file size on conversion)

Hello,
    I love the sound quality of the lossless format. When I covert it saying uncompressed, the output file is larger than the input file. What is the proper procedure to keep the output file the same size as the Apple lossless file. The before conversion file is 26.16 mb on output it is 37,966kb

Thanks for your help.
    This is the input lossless file info.

Size: 26.16 MB (70% of original, 1.4 to 1 compression)
    Original Size: 37.08 MB
    Length: 3 minutes 40 seconds
    Channels: 2 (stereo)
    Sample Rate: 44.1 KHz;
    Sample Size: 16 bit
    Bit Rate: 1,411 kbps
    Encoder: Apple Lossless (ALAC)
    Encoder Settings:
    Audio Quality: Perfect (Lossless)
    Play Count:
    Last Played:
    Contains: ID Tag [Apple iTunes]
    Channel Mapping:
    File: 18 Merry Go Round
    Type: Winamp media file [.m4a]
  • Teknojnky
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2006

Re: Apple Lossless (file size on conversion)

Originally posted by RBOllie
    Hello,
    I love the sound quality of the lossless format. When I covert it saying uncompressed, the output file is larger than the input file. What is the proper procedure to keep the output file the same size as the Apple lossless file. The before conversion file is 26.16 mb on output it is 37,966kb

Thanks for your help.
    This is the input lossless file info.

Size: 26.16 MB (70% of original, 1.4 to 1 compression)
    Original Size: 37.08 MB
    Length: 3 minutes 40 seconds
    Channels: 2 (stereo)
    Sample Rate: 44.1 KHz;
    Sample Size: 16 bit
    Bit Rate: 1,411 kbps
    Encoder: Apple Lossless (ALAC)
    Encoder Settings:
    Audio Quality: Perfect (Lossless)
    Play Count:
    Last Played:
    Contains: ID Tag [Apple iTunes]
    Channel Mapping:
    File: 18 Merry Go Round
    Type: Winamp media file [.m4a]
    I'm not sure what your talking about... when you convert from lossless to uncompressed, then the file will be original size...

Uncompressed Original Size: 37.08 MB
    Compressed ALAC Size: 26.16 MB (70% of original, 1.4 to 1 compression)
    Uncompressed size you reported 37,966kb = 37.076171875 using the converter linked above, rounded up would be 37.08.

You can't keep an uncompressed file the same size as an compressed, at least not losslessly. The whole defination of lossless compression, is to make the file smaller than the uncompressed without losing any bits.

Comment

• RBOllie
      • Jun 2007

Thanks for the reply. I want the quality of sound that the Apple Lossless gives with the same size file as the apple lossless. 26.16mb AS compared to 37.08mb

Originally posted by Teknojnky
      I'm not sure what your talking about... when you convert from lossless to uncompressed, then the file will be original size...

Uncompressed Original Size: 37.08 MB
      Compressed ALAC Size: 26.16 MB (70% of original, 1.4 to 1 compression)
      Uncompressed size you reported 37,966kb = 37.076171875 using the converter linked above, rounded up would be 37.08.

You can't keep an uncompressed file the same size as an compressed, at least not losslessly. The whole defination of lossless compression, is to make the file smaller than the uncompressed without losing any bits.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

> I want the quality of sound that the Apple Lossless gives with the same size file as the apple lossless

Leave it as Apple Lossless, if you convert it to wav then it is uncompressed and bigger.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Teknojnky
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by RBOllie
          Thanks for the reply. I want the quality of sound that the Apple Lossless gives with the same size file as the apple lossless. 26.16mb AS compared to 37.08mb
          Then use apple lossless. Whats the problem?

I think you need to read up on lossless codecs (and probably lossy too).

start here..

The quality of apple lossless is the exact same as the uncompressesed file, and vice versa.

If you want the smaller file, use apple lossless, or one of the other several lossless codecs. Otherwise if you use uncompressed, then you will always have larger files.

Comment

• RBOllie
            • Jun 2007

Spoon and Teknojnky,
            Ok, but then all of my other players cannot read the M4A files. I wanted to be able to stream my music to other speakers in my house using a D-LINK. I found out that it does not support m4a and for some reason WINAMP does not play that format either. I was looking for a way to keep the size down but keep the quality up. Thanks. If there is a way to keep the size down without dumbing down the sound with dbpoweramp, then I appreciate the help.

Thanks

RbOllie

Originally posted by Spoon
            > I want the quality of sound that the Apple Lossless gives with the same size file as the apple lossless

Leave it as Apple Lossless, if you convert it to wav then it is uncompressed and bigger.

Comment

• RBOllie
              • Jun 2007

Thanks for the link Tekno. That did clear it up a bit. I can go to Flac with excellent results.
              Thanks.

Originally posted by Teknojnky
              Then use apple lossless. Whats the problem?

I think you need to read up on lossless codecs (and probably lossy too).

start here..

The quality of apple lossless is the exact same as the uncompressesed file, and vice versa.

If you want the smaller file, use apple lossless, or one of the other several lossless codecs. Otherwise if you use uncompressed, then you will always have larger files.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

What model of the d-link streamer do you have? A glance at one product shows that no lossless formats are supported. Your next best bet to lossless would be a maximum quality normal WMA file (320kbps or quality 100 VBR).

Comment

• RBOllie
                  • Jun 2007

Yes, you are correct and D-LINK replied that they had no ETA for if and when this would get done.

Is this the limitations of the D-LINK server or the DSM-120 itself?

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

I'm not sure if its the software or the hardware that is limiting the format support or if both are at fault.

Comment

• RBOllie
                      • Jun 2007

I asked, they said it would require a firmware update.

Comment

Working...

]]>