title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

computer upgrade/Vista ?? - need fast answer

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markeh
    • Apr 2007

computer upgrade/Vista ?? - need fast answer

OK - my system died a horrible death. Mother board cooked. Since it was 3 years old and ready for the Neanderthal exhibit at the local museum, I guess I need to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Since ripping using dbpoweramp is one of my main activities lately, performance is a consideration. Maybe off topic, but I would really appreciate quick input before I go into withdrawal and buy the wrong system.

Two questions:

1. Most new systems come with Windows Vista. As near as I can tell, many applications are allergic to Vista. What about dbpoweramp??

2. I'm looking at some refurb HP systems that have Windows XP installed. My old, dead system had a 2.8 ghz Pentium 4. The new systems have either an Athlon 64x2 (W) 4200+ 2.0ghz, or an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (C) DC 1.86 ghz. I know that cycle time and clock speed aren't everything, but I want to make sure that either system is at least as fast ripping as my old one. Or maybe faster.

Anyone with some insight I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: computer upgrade/Vista ?? - need fast answer

dBpoweramp is fine on Vista.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Either one of those systems should blow your old one out of the water.

Comment

• markeh
        • Apr 2007

Transfer settings and profiles??

OK - thanks for the help. I have the system with the AMD chip. Works fine.

The old system is dead, but the old disc is now in a USB enclosure and available.

I am going to install my recently registered copy on my new system. Any easy way to transfer old settings, in particular old profiles??

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Re: Transfer settings and profiles??

Since the drive is being accessed as a secondary drive, try the application folder (C:\Documents and settings\<username>\Application Data\dBpoweramp). Unfortunately, most dMC settings are saved in the registry, which I don't know how to access unless Windows is running on the drive. You will have to find a way to access the registry on a secondary drive that is not currently running.

Comment

• markeh
            • Apr 2007

The only thing there is a file called "CDRipperCache.bin"

The new install didn't create this file, or even the directory. Of course, I haven't ripped anything yet.

Is this useful? I suppose that profiles and the associated path could be in the (old) registry, but this doesn't seem like a likely place to store them.

It took me a while to build the exact path that I wanted. Hate to do it again - I guess I should have saved them.....

thanks again for the help.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

The profiles are in the registry, I just checked. dMC normally stores everything in the registry.

I think the "CDRipperCache" just stores the tracks, album art, etc. of all CDs ripped by dMC.

Comment

• markeh
                • Apr 2007

Oh well.. Thanks.

Accessing the stored registry in another disc can be done, but it requires tools that I don't have. I don't think regedit can do this.

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Regedit can, but it can't load the needed HKEY_CURRENT_USER, only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Comment

Working...

]]>