title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting from AC3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr_Sheldrake
    • May 2007

Converting from AC3

Hi all,

I have a number of AC3 files I wish to convert to another format. When I play the original AC3 files in Windows Media Player they sound fine, so I guess this means the AC3Filter software (1.30b) is installed correctly.

When I convert the files from AC3 to any other format (WAV, AAC, etc.) the resulting sound file is garbled. The best way to describe the resulting converted file is it sounds like a 78 RPM record being played at 33.3 RPM (I know, I'm dating myself). In other words, it sounds like the playback is about 1/3 the speed. Dbpoweramp does not report any errors and the conversion "appears" to complete successfully.

I believe I have the DirectShow codec installed correctly. I have the .ac3 entry in the configuration file. I am running the latest versions of dbpoweramp (12.1), DirectShow codec, etc. I am using AC3Filter version 1.30b. Here is my configuration profile from dbpoweramp:

__________________________________________________ _____

Codecs Installed

Encoders (write)

Apple Lossless Release 6
    .m4a
    FLAC Release 7 (FLAC 1.1.4)
    .flac
    m4a Nero (AAC) Release 6
    .m4a
    mp3 (Lame) Lame 3.97
    .mp3
    Shorten Release 1 (Shorten Encoder v3.6.0)
    .shn
    Test Conversion
    Wave Release 12.1
    .wav
    Windows Media Audio 10 Release 2 (WMA Pro 10)
    .wma

Decoders (read)

Advanced Audio Compression Decoder
    .aac
    CD Decoder Release 12.1
    .cda
    DirectShow Decoder
    .aa, .ac3
    FLAC Decoder
    .fla, .flac
    m4a / mp4 Decoder
    .m4a, .m4b, .mp4
    mp3 Decoder Release 12.1
    .m2a, .mp1, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .mpg, .mpga, .mpx
    Shorten Compressed Audio File (*.SHN)
    .SHN
    Wave Decoder Release 12.1
    .wav
    Windows Media Audio Decoder
    .asf, .wma, .wmv

Install on Demand

Monkeys Audio .ape
    Musepack .mpc
    Ogg Vorbis .ogg
    Real Audio (Helix) .ra
    WavPack .wv
    Midi (read only) .mid

Again, the AC3 file plays just fine in WMP, dbpoweramp recognizes the AC3 file as a valid format for conversion, the conversion to WAV completes without incident but the resulting file is garbled. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Converting from AC3

What are the settings for the ac3? channels and frequency? and the settings for converted file?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Mr_Sheldrake
      • May 2007

Wow, the man himself. Thanks for helping Spoon!

According to the right-click->properties page on the .AC3 file:

Channels: 2 (stereo)
      Sample Rate: 48 KHz
      Sample Size: 16 bit

When I do the conversion to WAV I leave dbpoweramp with all three of these settings configured to "as source". The right-click->properties of the resulting WAV file are:

Channels: 2 (stereo)
      Sample Rate: 48 KHz
      Sample Size: 16 bit
      Bit Rate: 1,536 kbps

Encoder:
      Encoder Settings: PCM
      Audio Quality: DAT (Lossless)

I'm playing the WAV file in Sound Forge 8.0 so I know it's capable of handling a 48 KHz / 16 bit file.

The settings in AC3Filter are defaults across the board. I've even used the "Reset to Defaults" tool in AC3Filter - same results. If there is some way to capture the AC3Filter settings so that I could post them here (if that's important) please let me know. Otherwise I can go tab by tab through the settings and let you know what they're set to - again, if you think the AC3Filter settings are involved.

Comment

• Mr_Sheldrake
        • May 2007

Spoon, you were correct about the channels being the problem.

Unfortunately the right-click->properties screen was not giving me accurate information about the source AC3 files. I used GraphEdit and AC3Filter to confirm the source AC3 file was actually 5.1 channel, not 2 channel as the audio property screen indicated. I changed the output mode in AC3Filter to force 2-channel stereo output and now the WAV files are no longer garbled.

Thanks for your help Spoon. You are the man.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

It should work with 6 channel, try the new version here:

First release for R12: <released> 222KB DirectShow is used by Windows Media Player, filters are installed allowing Media Player to decode audio files it would not normally be able to decode. ============== See the Real Audio and AC3 page in Codec Central, install the correct filters first before installing

on 6 channels.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>