title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Codec Trouble

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OGRastamon
    • May 2007

Codec Trouble

I just downloaded dBpowerAMP yesterday and after a little effort (registering, installing codecs, etc.) it did exactly what I wanted it to do. Which is to compress my audio files without losing quality. That was then, this is now.

When attempting to convert my next group of files I received the message "To support the audio type 'Windows Media Audio' a codec must be installed...blah blah". This was the same message I received the first time. I tried reinstalling the codec but I still get the message upon trying to convert. I even get it when converting the very same files I successfully converted yesterday. Does the program have short term memory loss?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Codec Trouble

You installed codecs from Codec Central, correct? With the release of r12, a new codec system was introduced, requiring new codecs. Were the codecs you installed ones you had previously downloaded, or did you download new, fresh copies?

Comment

• OGRastamon
      • May 2007

I downloaded the files that were presented to me when I clicked YES.

Please take note: The codecs I downloaded worked yesterday and they do not work now. I don't believe the problem is obsolete codecs. I can't make sense of it. If there weren't an entire forum devoted to this product I'd think I had been scammed.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Check dMC Configuration (Start --> Programs --> dBpoweramp Music Converter --> Configuration --> dBpoweramp Configuration) to make sure WMA shows up under Decoders and Encoders.

Also, what version of dMC are you using and what version of Windows are you using?

Comment

• OGRastamon
          • May 2007

Code:
          dBpoweramp Music Converter
          Release 12.2
          Registration Status
          mp3 License & Power Pack: Registered
          All Media Guide: 363 Days Access Remaining

dBpoweramp Audio Player
          Audio player extraordinaire

dBpoweramp CD Writer: Unregistered Trial
          Release 2

Sveta Portable Audio
          Enhance your portable player

Codecs Installed  

Encoders (write)  

[Arrange Audio]  Release 2
          Apple Lossless  Release 5
          .m4a  
          CLI Encoder  Release 2
          .ext  
          FLAC  Release 7 (FLAC 1.1.4)
          .flac  
          m4a Nero (AAC)  Release 5
          .m4a  
          Monkeys Audio  Release 8 (Monkeys Audio v3.99)
          .ape  
          mp3 (Lame)  Lame 3.97
          .mp3  
          Musepack  Release 6 (SV7 mppenc 1.16)
          .mpc  
          ogg vorbis  Release 15 (Ogg v1.1.3 Vorbis V1.1.2)
          .ogg  
          Shorten  Release 1 (Shorten Encoder v3.6.0)
          .shn  
          Test Conversion  
          Wave  Release 12.2
          .wav  
          WavPack  Release 5 (using WavPack 4.4)
          .wv  
          Windows Media Audio 10  Release 2 (WMA Pro 10)
          .wma  
          Windows Media Audio 9  Release 1 (WMA Pro 9)
          .wma  

Decoders (read)  

Advanced Audio Compression Decoder  
          .aac  
          CD Decoder  Release 12.2
          .cda  
          DirectShow Decoder  
          .3g2, .3gp, .3gp2, .3gpp, .alac, .divx, .flv, .hdmov, .m2ts, .mka, .mkv, .mov, .ofr, .ogm, .qt, .ts, .tta  
          FLAC Decoder  
          .flac  
          m4a / mp4 Decoder  
          .m4a, .m4b, .mp4  
          MIDI Decoder  
          .mid, .rmi  
          Monkeys Audio Decoder  
          .ape  
          mp3 Decoder  Release 12.2
          .m2a, .mp1, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .mpg, .mpga, .mpx  
          Musepack Decoder  
          .mp+, .mpc, .mpp  
          Ogg Vorbis Decoder  
          .ogg  
          Shorten Compressed Audio File (*.SHN)  
          .SHN  
          Wave Decoder  Release 12.2
          .wav  
          WavPack Decoder  
          .wv  
          Windows Media Audio Decoder  
          .asf, .wma, .wmv
          I am running Windows XP Home.

As a side note, I received a new error when opening the configuration. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"CLI Encoder has not been configured, open the file \Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Encoder\CLI Encoder\encoder.txt and change the extension."
          [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]This is easy enough but to what should I change the extension?[/SIZE]
          Last edited by LtData; May 17, 2007, 10:39 PM. Reason: improved readability

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

What format do you want the CLI encoder to encode to? Change the extension to that. If you don't need/want the CLI encoder, uninstall it.

Edit: When you get the message about getting support for WMA, are you trying to decode WMA files or encode to them?
            Last edited by LtData; May 17, 2007, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• OGRastamon
              • May 2007

Don't know what the CLI encoder is and therefore do not know if it is needed.

I received the message when converting wma files to mp3. I have no idea whether that's ENcoding or DEcoding.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

The CLI encoder is used when you want to have dMC use an external .exe to encode files to. If you don't know what it is, you probably don't need it.

Anyway, your trouble is apparently in regards to decoding WMA files. You said you are using Windows XP. You downloaded the 10MB package for Windows XP, correct? What version of Windows Media Player is on your computer?

Edit: also, why did you install both the WMA 10 and WMA 9 codecs? You should only need one or the other.
                Last edited by LtData; May 18, 2007, 02:02 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Double check the extension of your .wma files, they might not be:

.asf, .wma, .wmv
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• OGRastamon
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by LtData
                    The CLI encoder is used when you want to have dMC use an external .exe to encode files to. If you don't know what it is, you probably don't need it.

Anyway, your trouble is apparently in regards to decoding WMA files. You said you are using Windows XP. You downloaded the 10MB package for Windows XP, correct? What version of Windows Media Player is on your computer?

Edit: also, why did you install both the WMA 10 and WMA 9 codecs? You should only need one or the other.
                    For someone who calls himself Lt Data you sure use a great deal of piss-poor logic. :p

As you can see I downloaded all available codecs and I will likely install any others you make available in the future. The vast variety of encoding methods is the very reason I sought out a conversion tool. You mustn't make the assumption that all my .wma files now or will come from the same source. BTW I'm using WMP 11 but before you think that relevant remember that it wasn't a problem the first time I used the program.

The notion that the CLI Encoder would only be useful to me if I currently understand its purpose is not only illogical but condescending. I know more today than I did yesterday and I hope that continues exponentially tomorrow.

In fact it would seem that the CLI was the root of the problem (though I don't understand why it wasn't before). By changing .ext to .mp3 in the text file I not only eliminated the error dialog but the download message as well. I am now converting .wma to .mp3 with ease.

Your robotic and unemotional collection of information left me no choice but to look within and realize my own human potential. I guess the name fits after all.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

I did not mean to be condescending, that was not my intent. I just wanted to make sure that you hadn't downloaded the CLI codec just to never use it.

Regardless, I am glad you managed to fix your problem.

Comment

• OGRastamon
                        • May 2007

New development: I believe my problem may have been caused by my anti-spyware deleting the registry changes. Just a note for the future. Put dBpowerAMP on the exceptions list.

Comment

• LtData
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • May 2004

What anti-spyware program are you using?

Comment

Working...

]]>