title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MTP mode not working after dbPowerAmp & WMA 10 codec install?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • musicalfruit
    • May 2007

MTP mode not working after dbPowerAmp & WMA 10 codec install?

Hi. Just got a Sansa c250 and was playing around with best way to load it up. Tried using it in MTP mode and Windows Media Player 10 saw it fine. Then tried it in MSC mode and that work OK as well.

So I installed dbPowerAmp and the WMA 10 codec to see if I wanted to use it to downrez songs for loading onto the player. But after installation of dbPowerAmp and the WMA 10 codec, whenever I plug the c250 in, I get a "New Hardware Found" message and then after trying to locate the driver, I get a "service installation section in this INF is invalid" error. And Windows Media Player 10 won't see the c250 anymore in the Sync section.

Did dbPowerAmp and/or the WMA 10 codec screw up the MTP mode of my system? If so, any quick fixes or patches available?

Thanks.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: MTP mode not working after dbPowerAmp & WMA 10 codec install?

What version of Windows are you using, XP? Did you install the version of the WMA 10 codec for your OS?

Your saying that Windows itself will no long recognize your player?

Comment

• musicalfruit
      • May 2007

Whoops. Forgot to mention that I'm running XP SP2 and I grabbed the XP version of the codec. It's 10.3MB and named "dBpoweramp-Codec-WMA10Pro.exe".

Yes, my system will no longer properly recognize the player. It sees it in the device manager but with a big yellow "!" next to the "Sansa c250" entry in the Portable Devices tab. And Windows Media Player 10 no longer see it as a sync device. The only change to my system was the installation of dbPowerAmp and the WMA10 codec so that's why I think it was the culprit. I will try and uninstall both to see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks.

Comment

• musicalfruit
        • May 2007

Well, uninstalling both dbPowerAmp and the WMA 10 codec did not help. Same problem. So I then upgraded to Windows Media Player 11 and that seems to have done the trick. The Sansa c250 now shows up as a MTP device and WMP11 can sync with it.

Now I'm a little nervous about re-installing dbPowerAmp and/or the WMA 10 codec.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

I have never heard of this problem before. The only thing I can think of that would mess up WMP is that installing the WMA codec installs a WMP11 runtime, or something along those lines, that enabled dMC to encode to WMA. Installing dMC itself won't mess up your player. Also, if you do install the dMC WMA codec and it messes up your system, you could try a System Restore to go to before the installation. Just make sure you make a Restore point before the install.

Comment

• musicalfruit
            • May 2007

Originally posted by LtData
            The only thing I can think of that would mess up WMP is that installing the WMA codec installs a WMP11 runtime, or something along those lines, that enabled dMC to encode to WMA.
            That's probably it as I do recall seeing a WMF 11 Runtime entry in my Add/Remove Programs listing. Removing that was going to be my next step if installing WMP11 didn't work.

I don't know if I'm an isolated case but perhaps some type of readme warning entry can be added since installing the WMA 10 codec seems to add WMF 11 Runtime libraries so that ends up breaking WMP10.

Thanks.

P.S. Tried reinstalling dbPowerAmp and the WMA 10 codec and everything still works so I guess the moral is to upgrade to WMP11 if you're installing the WMA 10 codec.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Well, installing the WMF 11 Runtime doesn't break WMP 10 entirelly, but apparently it does mess up the MTP mode. On my computer, WMP 10 functions just fine with the WMF 11 Runtime installed.

Comment

Working...

]]>