title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

streaming apple lossless (or not)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bereillyte
    • Apr 2007

streaming apple lossless (or not)

Here's a weird problem. I have a number of FLAC files (eg Jaco Pastorius 1st album). I used DMC R11 to create Apple Lossless files. I imported into Itunes and all was well. However, when I used another computer to stream from my main computer (using Itunes' Shared Music option) I could not play the lossless files (ordinary files were fine). I tried everything to pin down the error, keeping the config as simple as possible etc etc.

Then I found the problem. I burnt a CD from the DMC created Apple Lossless files, then I imported back into itunes using Apple's own Lossless encoder. Now I can stream the lossless files

Bottom Line: the FLAC converted Apple Lossles files must be different to Apples's own in some subtle way.

The symtpom was that Itunes would just sit there at 0 min/sec for a long time eventually putting up an exclamation mark next to the file.

I am running the very latest version of Itunes and I also downloaded R12 of DMC to see if it made a difference (it didn't of course, because I am using the same encoder - the latest)

The DMC created file works fine on my ipod and in itunes of the main machine. It's just the streaming option that doesn't work. Maybe Apple have changed something to work better with Apple TV

Both files seem to be the same (9MB in size and 506 kbps) though the Apple encoded one does report "Encoded with : iTunes V7.1.1.5" but is compeltely blank for the DMC one.

The only other difference I can see is that I have embedded album art in the dmc file but not the iTunes encoded one

It's not a major problem really, and given that the encoder seems to be a reverse engineered solution, I suppose it's not surprising that things like this happen. If I can help further to track down the problem, let me know

Terry
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: streaming apple lossless (or not)

this is a known bug, a fix is to download the "m4a utilities" and run the "m4a optimize" utility codec on your files with "Generate RTP Hint Track" checked and you should be able to stream the files.

Comment

• bereillyte
      • Apr 2007

Thanks, that's fixed it

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It is not a bug, rather a hint track which is missing from the m4a file, the hint track tells of the settings of the track to come, but is not required for .m4a
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>