title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Encode stalls at 99% for FLAC w/R12.1

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mamsterla
    • Apr 2007

Encode stalls at 99% for FLAC w/R12.1

I registered a copy of R12.1 and am encoding in FLAC onto a network drive. The volume is on a SAMBA server and this was all working smoothly with R12 demo version.

The behavior is that the ripping and encoding progress at a normal rate and then the encoding will stop at 99% for about 5 minutes and then it successfully completes. As you can guess it takes a long time to finish a rip/encode.

-MA
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Encode stalls at 99% for FLAC w/R12.1

Networked encoding with dMC is always a little quirky. The delay is probably it copying the file back over and writing the tags.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Because flac has tags at the beginning of the file, the whole file has to be reread and written out shifted by the tag amount, the networks is slow at this.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mgalusha
        • Jun 2007

I noticed the same thing and watched the network traffic while it was encoding. It's even worse with a multi CPU or hyper threaded machine as it's trying to do both files at the same time and I saw network traffic of over 50Mbps each direction.

Would you consider writing the flac and the flac.tmp to the windows temp directory for encoding and tagging and then write them to the destination folder? This would greatly reduce network traffic and speed up rips to the network. I rip all my discs to my network music server (I use a Squeezebox) and it takes at least twice as long to rip to the lan as local.

Thanks,

Mike G.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

I believe the file itself is ripped to RAM and then encoded on the destination folder, which explains the traffic. For the record, dMC has never been very good at doing conversions over a network. You might just have to rip the file to your computer and then transfer the folder of rips to the network location.

Comment

Working...

]]>