title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Accurate / Inaccurate - various questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byrd
    • Apr 2007

Accurate / Inaccurate - various questions

First off, I'm a complete "newb" when it comes to dbpoweramp. I apologize in advance for my long rambling post...

I've been using EAC since pretty early on (since about 1999-2000, eac v0.9 prebeta 4). I've always had Plextor drives in the past, but lately, I've been quite disappointed with their quality and reliability. So, I recently purchases a new Liteon LH-20A1H-186. So far, I've been pretty pleased, the only problem was that apparently the Liteon Smart-X technology does NOT play well with EAC v0.95b4. It slows the drive down and I'm only able to rip at about 2-3x max. I just downloaded the Dbpoweramp reference version the other day, and so far it appears to be a great alternative for secure ripping. In addition, it gets along quite well with the Liteon drive. I can get Accurate Rips at 25-30x.

Anyway, there I've had a few discs rip that have given results that I don't fully understand. I'm sure it's ALL been addressed here in the past, but after reading numerous posts I still seem to have the same questions. Here goes:

The main crux of my question is regarding the confidence of Accurate vs Inaccurate results. What's the difference in the confidence value? If I see the following:

Inaccurate (confidence 3) - does this mean that I match NO BODY and that there are 3 others who match each other? Or is it possible to match others while still NOT matching 3 people?

Accurate (confidence 3) - this means that I match 3 people, but is it possible that I also DON'T match, say 6, other people? I guess this would mean different pressings?

What if there were 2 pressings in the database, one with 3 matching rips and the other with 4 matching rips. If I my rip didn't match either pressing, what would my results be... Inaccurate (confidence 3), (confidence 4), or (confidence 7)?

Also, when to I assume that I just have a different pressing or if I'm having some other problem? I ripped a disc and had the following results:

Inaccurate (confidence 3) [Pass 1, Ultra 1 to 3]
    Inaccurate (confidence 2) [Pass 1, Ultra 1 to 3]
    Inaccurate (x) [Pass 1, Ultra 1 to 3]
    Inaccurate (x) [Pass 1, Ultra 1 to 3]

So, it was a secure rip. But the confidence level (or lack of confidence) was not consistent. It seems even more odd that 2 of the tracks weren't even in the data base. Since the disc was ripped accurately, do I assume I have a different pressing, or is there something else I'm missing here?

Lastly, what do the track to track mis-matches in Accurate confidence values mean? For example I riped a disc this morning that had the following values:

Accurate (confidence 38)
    Accurate (confidence 41)
    Accurate (confidence 36)
    Accurate (confidence 35)
    Accurate (confidence 33)
    Accurate (confidence 38)
    Accurate (confidence 37)
    Accurate (confidence 36)
    Accurate (confidence 34)
    Accurate (confidence 32)
    Accurate (confidence 35)
    Accurate (confidence 34)
    Accurate (confidence 31)

Obviously with such high confidence values, the rip was accurate, but why would the values be all over the place? Do results get submitted to the accurate rip database on a track by track basis? Are people not submitting results for full disc rips? Is this a result of many pressings with tracks that mix and match with one another from pressing to pressing?

Okay, I think that's enough for now. I've got a couple other questions, but I'll leave those for another time. I think I've already stretched this out way to long.

Thanks!!
    Bryan
  • Teknojnky
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2006

Re: Accurate / Inaccurate - various questions

Some good questions.

It would be alot better if ripper explicitly stated that you matched X and did not match X.

Regarding your last question,

Accurate (confidence 38)
    Accurate (confidence 41)
    Accurate (confidence 36)
    Accurate (confidence 35)
    Accurate (confidence 33)
    Accurate (confidence 38)
    Accurate (confidence 37)
    Accurate (confidence 36)
    Accurate (confidence 34)
    Accurate (confidence 32)
    Accurate (confidence 35)
    Accurate (confidence 34)
    Accurate (confidence 31)
    This more than likely means that this is a popular disc, that many have ripped, however quite a few have various scratches/errors so they don't match up.

For example, the highest confidence is 41 on track 2, and the lowest is 31 on the last track.

Making the assumption that there are 41 rips submitted (probably more), only 31 were error free on the last track.

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Inaccurate(confidence 3): This means that your track is incorrect, according to 3 other submissions. However, if nearly all of a CD is like this, it could mean that your track is a different pressing than the ones in the database.
      Accurate(confidence 3): Three other people had a rip that matches yours.

In regards to the 2 pressing questin, I don't know, Spoon will have to answer that.

If you got the entire CD as inaccurate, as I stated above, it is probably a different pressing. As to why two tracks were missing or some tracks have a different confidence rating, I guess some people don't rip entire CDs, or mabye have to re-rip a track at a later time for one reason or another.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

2 pressings can live side by side, if the Inaccurate is shown then the cofidence can be from any of the pressings.

RE the varying confidences, not everyone rips all the tracks of a cd...
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• byrd
          • Apr 2007

Thanks for the replies, they definitely give more insight. I guess if I see that I have a full disc of Inaccurate rips, but they are all Secure, I can assume that I have a different pressing. I think out of the 30 or so discs that I've ripped so far, this has only happened twice.

The fact that results can be submitted one track at a time has raised a couple other questions though:

The other day, I ripped a disc, and all tracks but one were Accurate. The final track was an Inaccuate, "i"-Secure rip. I pulled the disc out cleaned it and re-ripped the single track. It was now an Accurate rip. The first rip evidently had errors. What happens when the results are submitted to the Accuraterip database? Does the first rip, with errors get added to the database? That would seem to skew the database in a direction that might not be so reliable.

What if I cancel a rip mid-stream? Are results of a partial rip submitted?

What if a rip the same track, say 10 times? Would I be submitting that same results 10 times? For example, the first disc on which I saw Inaccurate results for every track (mentioned above), I re-ripped the disc 2 more times to see if the results would be the same. Did I essentially add my disc to the database 3 times? This would seem to also skew the database in a direction that would make it somewhat unreliable.

Thanks again for the helpful input!
          Bryan

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

The database can handle bad rips, it is the very nature of it, even partial rips.

If you rip the same track 10 times, only one result is submitted to the database.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>