title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

No C2 on Lite-On SHM-165H6S (Slow re-ripping)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 73ChargerFan
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2006

No C2 on Lite-On SHM-165H6S (Slow re-ripping)

What the title says. The "technical details" said it had C2, and when I tested it with a scratched CD, it said it had C2, so I enabled it.

But I was unable to rip. It would rip 3 secure passes, then re-rip between 600 and 900 (sectors?) at 1 per second, which would be about 15 minutes per track.

I disabled C2, and bing badda boom! The entire CD was accurate and no re-ripping or secure mode.

I was getting nervous, because I've got about 500 CDs to rip.

Just an FYI for other users of this drive.
  • 73ChargerFan
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2006

Slow again

Three rips done, and now its again ripping at speed 0.1x :(

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Re: Slow again

Check this: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...newpost&t=4619

Comment

• 73ChargerFan
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by LtData
        Nope, it's set to UDMA 4, and I verified that the drive supports this. I did have this problem once when I was beta testing v12, but then I had a Sony DW-Q30A. That time the transfer rate had changed, but not this time.

My two hard drives are SATA, the mb is ABIT AN7 (nForce2 Ultra 400) cpu is AMD AthlonXP 3000, 2 gb memory, windows xp pro, sp2.

I'm using 12.1 reference, accurate rip, 3/6 secure passes with variable speed. Turning off variable speed rips 5 times (2 + 3 secure) at ~18x. Variable speed on, 2 at normal speed, and secure drops to 3x, then 0.2x, then 0.1x.

I'm trying to rip an original 1989 EMI cd, Richard Marx Repeat Offender, with one minor scratch. I'll try it on other computers, and try other cds on this one.

Thanks for the help.
        Last edited by 73ChargerFan; April 21, 2007, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Your drive is IDE, correct?

Your sure the drive is still set to DMA in the device manager? Have you checked the setting when the speed drops?

Comment

• 73ChargerFan
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Nov 2006

Its at UDMA-66. The second disk I've found to not rip is the BMI pressing of the Forest Gump Soundtrack, disk 1. So, 1 out of 4 so far don't rip in Ultra Secure mode.

The drive is the only IDE device in the computer, slave on the secondary channel. The primary channel is disabled in the BIOS.

CD Ripper has been chewing on track 16 for 13 minutes, and is 10% through Ultra(1). CDGrab.exe & CoreConverter.exe are both at 0% cpu usage. CDGrab.exe is using 92,284 K, which seems high.

It may be the app doesn't like my motherboard. I'll try it elsewhere right now.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

CDGrab is using a lot of memory, because it rips to RAM.

As to why the program is not behaving is beyond me.

Comment

• 73ChargerFan
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Nov 2006

Could clearing the cache between secure rips cause the drive slow down?

Before, testing for 'Drive Read Cache' gave something like 4xxKB, C2 ok, and FUA would clear, but would take 5 times as long as not clearing with FUA. It suggested I use FUA, but I cleared that option.

I reinstalled everything. Now it said 670KB cache, then None.

If the CD is Accurate in AccurateRip, then the first pass is converted and everything is okay. If not, then speed goes down to 0.0x to 0.2x if I have 'Vary drive speed each pass' set.

Thanks.

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Does this happen with the "Clear FUA" option disabled?

Also, go to the Options menu, scroll down to the "CD ROM" section and change the "Communication" setting to "Windows Internal" and see if that helps any.

Comment

• 73ChargerFan
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Nov 2006

Didn't have a chance. I haven't used "Clear with FUA" because the times to clear the cache using it were 3-5 times longer than without it, as reported by the test button.

Ultra Secure now works. I fixed it by limiting the speed for the 2nd rip down to 8x.

The first rip used to spin the drive up to 28x, and the second rip was about as fast. But then, the first secure would try and reduce the speed down to 4x, but it couldn't and would stall. I had one disk repeatedly fail with ERROR (cannot access CD Drive, LBA sectors...).

Now 2nd rip is 8x. Going into 1st Secure, it waits about 12+/- seconds then the speed is at 0.5x, and quickly rises to 4.0x +/- 0.2x. Second rip then rises to 8x, and 3rd goes without a hitch.

I've had this problem on 3 drives and on all v12 betas, 12.0 and 12.1.

Comment

• bhoar
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by 73ChargerFan
                      Now 2nd rip is 8x. Going into 1st Secure, it waits about 12+/- seconds then the speed is at 0.5x, and quickly rises to 4.0x +/- 0.2x. Second rip then rises to 8x, and 3rd goes without a hitch.

I've had this problem on 3 drives and on all v12 betas, 12.0 and 12.1.
                      Is this correct: the drive advertises (via a query) that it is 4x speed compatible, but fails to work well if told to slow to that speed?

-brendan

Comment

Working...

]]>