title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

it shouldn't be this hard

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgh
    • Apr 2007

it shouldn't be this hard

To think I used to get upset trying to use MS software.

Yesterday when I starting ripping to FLAC, the files would be sent to the folder I specified, and it would make a folder with artist name, and a second folder with album name. Very good, just what I want. Today, after having to reinstall and jump through some other hoops, All I get it a folder for the artist, not a folder for the album.

After uninstalling the ripper and player, I installed the player and was able to add my FLAC files. Now that everything is reinstalled, anything new that I rip can not be added to my music library.

This is not a lot of fun.

Do I have to go to Media Player and rip WAV files?

Still frustrated.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: it shouldn't be this hard

Did you change the naming scheme? All you needed to do was add [album]\ to the naming scheme. This procedure is covered in the help files.

What do you mean the files you rip cannot be added to your music library? Are you talking about the naming scheme problem?

Comment

• Wayne
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Aug 2002

Now that everything is reinstalled, anything new that I rip can not be added to my music library.
      By music library are you referring to dAP's MMC?

If so is this because you used to use r11.5 and you are now using r12 which doesn't currently have the ability to automatically update dAP's MMC?

Wayne

Comment

• mgh
        • Apr 2007

OK, I guess I am full of crap.

I thought I was able to rip with a folder for artist, and a sub-folder with album. It looks like all I get is a folder with artist with multiple albums all in the same artist folder. I was hoping to find a way to have the sub-folders for different albums.

As far as adding files to library: I rip a new CD, then open "music collection" in PA player, go to "Add folder", point it to the new folder, click OK. Then I look for new music, and it is not in the library.

I suppose I can do without the player, but getting the ripper to work well is very important. I will try the other naming choices today also. Is there a way to make sun-folders for album names?

Thanks for the patience.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Could you paste your naming scheme from the CD ripper?

When you say "it is not in the library" after you add a folder, you mean dAP didn't add the music from that folder into its library, correct? Did you check the box to check subfolders? Also, do you have the proper codec installed into dAP from Legacy Codec Central?

Comment

• mgh
            • Apr 2007

It would appear I do not have the FLAC codec installed for the player. I did at one time. I can not find instructions on how to install the codec for the player. I do have the codec installed for the ripper. At least the ripped files are listed as dbpowerAMP FLAC.

My biggest problem is that I still can not get folders for albums. So all the Beatles I have ripped end up in the same folder, and it appears I have album art for only one album (probably replacing each new jpg.)

Thanks

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Go to Legacy Codec Central (link in main Codec Central) and download the FLAC codec there. Then install that to where dAP is installed to, and tell it to NOT uninstall the other version it detects.

Could you paste your naming scheme from the CD ripper so that we can add a subfolder for albums?

Comment

• mgh
                • Apr 2007

[album]\[disc][track] [title]

This is what I got from another thread.

It works, but will not put the new CD in the artist folder that PA already made. So using this name, I can get individual folders for every CD I rip, which is a step in the right direction. What I would like to end up with is something like what I get out of itunes. Anytime I rip another CD by an artist already in the directory specified, it just adds the new CD folder inside the artist folder.

I tried adding [artist] in front of that line, but all it did was add the artist name to the folder being created, it did not put the CD folder inside the artist folder that was already created.

Another point I hope you may help me with. I put in a CD that I know I had album art for before when using PA, but now I put the CD in and I get a list of tracks, but no album art.

Thank You

Comment

• Teknojnky
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2006

[album artist]\[album]\[disc][track] [title]

doesn't work?

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

or [artist]\[album]\[disc][track] [title] should work

As for the album art, make sure your AMG subscription is valid.

Comment

• mgh
                      • Apr 2007

No.

There appears to be several strings that will make a folder for each CD. What I would like is a folder for each artist, with sub-folders for each album.

Thanks

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

What do you mean several strings? There is one string that used. It does have multiple parts however.

So, in the CD ripper, beside naming, it just says "[album]\[disc][track] [title]" ?

Maybe we are misunderstanding each other. You want something like artist\album?

Comment

• mgh
                          • Apr 2007

Thank You LtData!!

That line ([artist]\[album]\[disc][track] [title]) did it! So after two days I can finally rip into the folders just like I want to. Thank You very much.

As far as album art: I get almost all the art I need, but for example, I now put in the Eagles Hotel Cal, and it will not show the art, when I am very sure it did yesterday, the first time I put the CD in. Right now, it will not show the art for that CD, but will show others I put in.

But hey, I'm happy, I've got the folders I want.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...

]]>