title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Noob Questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grasshopper
    • Apr 2007

Noob Questions

I've been using this product to rip CDs and I have some very basic noobie questions. I tried some basic searches but now knowing any "keywords" makes it difficult.....

1. What do the "confidence" numbers mean?

2. A few of my CDs show track 1 as having wierd lengths (e.g. 335:36:00, 335:39:11) When I try ripping these CDs it locks up the ripper and I have to kill the program to recover.

3. I thought purchasing the proct allowed lifetime "AMG music" access. How come in the configuration it says I have 364 days remaining?

4. I sort of understand the difference between burst and secure, but I am unsure of what the options "interpolate unrecoverable frames" and "mark track as error if insecure" do. I am assuming the first will try to "fill in" the bad parts and the second will just not rip the track. Correct?

5. Sometimes the Artist/Album/Genre information is incorect. How do I fix it without having to manually edit all of the information?

I started out using the "power pack" version and just updated to the "reference" version. I'm ripping all commercially bought CDs.

Sorry for the goofy questions, have pity on a noob.

Tom
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Noob Questions

The "confidence" numbers represents how many people agree with your rips. That is, how many people submitted AccurateRip results that were the same as yours for that track.

Comment

• Grasshopper
      • Apr 2007

So is the below good or bad? The main results screen shows a rip status of "AR (1)" in red and then a green checkmark and "secure".

8 tracks have the same result. One track (track 8) has another type of warning.

dBpoweramp Release 12.1 Digital Audio Extraction Log from Monday, April 16, 2007 6:36 PM

Drive & Settings
      ----------------

Ripping with drive 'G: [LITE-ON - CD-ROM LTN-489S ]', Drive offset: 12, Overread Lead-in/out: No
      AccurateRip: Active, Using C2: No, Cache: None, FUA Cache Invalidate: No
      Pass 1 Drive Speed: Max, Pass 2 Drive Speed: Max
      Bad Sector Re-rip:: Drive Speed: Max, Maximum Re-reads: 34

Encoder: FLAC -compression-level-8

Extraction Log
      --------------

Track 1: Ripped LBA 0 to 17840 (3:57) in 0:27. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Music\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame - 01 - Freeze-Frame.flac
      AccurateRip: Inaccurate (confidence 1) Secure [Pass 1 & 2]
      CRC32: DEA22C83

Track 2: Ripped LBA 17840 to 40115 (4:57) in 0:33. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Music\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame - 02 - Rage in the Cage.flac
      CRC32: 6F4A8909

Track 3: Ripped LBA 40115 to 56362 (3:36) in 0:24. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Music\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame - 03 - Centerfold.flac
      CRC32: FDE70092

Track 4: Ripped LBA 56362 to 77832 (4:46) in 0:32. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Music\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame - 04 - Do You Remember When¿.flac
      CRC32: 35AC5578

Track 5: Ripped LBA 77832 to 99175 (4:44) in 0:31. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Music\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame - 05 - Insane, Insane Again.flac
      CRC32: 3CB38D78

Track 6: Ripped LBA 99175 to 121612 (4:59) in 0:34. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Music\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame - 06 - Flamethrower.flac
      CRC32: 8F46796C

Track 7: Ripped LBA 121612 to 149087 (6:06) in 0:42. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Music\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame - 07 - River Blindness.flac
      CRC32: 7E6284E7

Track 8: Ripped LBA 149087 to 171000 (4:52) in 0:41. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Music\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame - 08 - Angel in Blue.flac
      AccurateRip: Inaccurate (confidence 1) Secure (Warning) [Pass 1 & 2, Re-Rip 63 Frames]
      CRC32: 59E50781

Track 9: Ripped LBA 171000 to 184785 (3:03) in 0:20. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Music\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame\J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame - 09 - Piss on the Wall.flac
      CRC32: 223C83CA

--------------

9 Tracks Ripped: 8 Secure, 1 Secure (Warning)

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

With a confidence of 1, it could be that your rip is fine and the person that submitted the data had errors in his rip, or vice-versa.

I believe the AR result in red means inaccurate, as indicated by your log.

As for the Secure (warning), it means that errors weren't detected, but it had to re-rip some data so some errors could have slipped through.

Comment

• Grasshopper
          • Apr 2007

Thanks for the super-fast responses.

Can you answer the other questions in my original post?

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

2. This normally represents a data track, as far as I aware. Is this an enhanced or mixed-mode CD?
            3. No, you get 1 year of AMG access, as stated here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-power-register.htm
            4. Interpolate means it will combine the results it gets and put that in the file. The second is in regards to the error log. Normally, if a track has in insecure, it is just marked insecure. If you check that option, it is marked as an error and is put in the error log, which you can set to display.
            5. What do you mean "all of the information?" If you mean change the artist and such for each track, I believe that if you make sure no tracks are selected you can change the artist/album/genre at the top and it will apply it to each track.

Comment

• Grasshopper
              • Apr 2007

2- No, it's not a data track on a mixed mode CD, it's a pure audio CD. As an example I have The Eagles, Hotel California. Track 1 shows up as Hotel California with a lenght of 335:39:11 and an estimated size (FLAC level 8) of 1,479,799 KB. Tracls 2 - 9 look just fine. If I try to rip any track it locks up.

3 - OK.

4 - OK. So after a year I pay $5 for AMG. Will freebd still wotk without paying?

5 - I knew I could do that. I was looking for a way to tell the ripper "no, it's not the CD you think it is, it's this CD." and then somehow point it to the correct CD. I can easily change the artist/album/genre but I was looking for an easy way to change the song titles.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

2. Very odd. Does this happen only with this CD, or with multiple CDs?
                One thing to try is to change the CD communciation type to "Windows Internal". This is done by clicking the Options button, scrolling down to the "CD ROM" section and changing the Communication setting. Did this help?

4. Yes, freedb will remain free

5. The only way I know to do this is to switch meta-data sources. To do this in a temporary manner, click the arrow beside the "Meta" button, go down to "Retrieve From" and then click the source you want to use.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

RE 2: many copy protected cds do as this, have invalid lengths.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Grasshopper
                    • Apr 2007

It happens on multiple CDs. One Eagles, one Foreigner so far. Changing to "Windows Internal" helped, but did not solve the problem. The length appears to be correct but I get an error when ripping the track. The other tracks did rip and the program did not crash.

dBpoweramp Release 12.1 Digital Audio Extraction Log from Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:57 PM

Drive & Settings
                    ----------------

Ripping with drive 'G: [LITE-ON - CD-ROM LTN-489S ]', Drive offset: 12, Overread Lead-in/out: No
                    AccurateRip: Active, Using C2: No, Cache: None, FUA Cache Invalidate: No
                    Pass 1 Drive Speed: Max, Pass 2 Drive Speed: Max
                    Bad Sector Re-rip:: Drive Speed: Max, Maximum Re-reads: 34

Encoder: FLAC -compression-level-8

Extraction Log
                    --------------

Track 1: ERROR Ripping LBA -75 to 29297 (6:31) in 0:00. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Music\Eagles - Hotel California\Eagles - Hotel California - 01 - Hotel California.flac
                    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA -75 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 29297)

Track 2: Ripped LBA 29297 to 52140 (5:04) in 0:37. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Music\Eagles - Hotel California\Eagles - Hotel California - 02 - New Kid in Town.flac
                    Secure [Pass 1 & 2]
                    CRC32: C7FC2DDF

Track 3: Ripped LBA 52140 to 73632 (4:46) in 0:31. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Music\Eagles - Hotel California\Eagles - Hotel California - 03 - Life in the Fast Lane.flac
                    Secure [Pass 1 & 2]
                    CRC32: 1EAB55A9

Track 4: Ripped LBA 73632 to 95792 (4:55) in 0:32. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Music\Eagles - Hotel California\Eagles - Hotel California - 04 - Wasted Time.flac
                    Secure [Pass 1 & 2]
                    CRC32: FDAE0695
                    Also hanks for the tip on changing meta data sources.
                    Last edited by Grasshopper; April 17, 2007, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

For what ever reason your drive cannot rip the first track, try a different drive?
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Grasshopper
                        • Apr 2007

It worked on another drive (in the same machine). I feel silly that I did not try that sooner.. Thanks much for all of the help.

Edit: Forgot to mention that selecting freedb instead of AMG also worked like a charm. AMG totally messed up on the artist/track info for The Eagles Live, Freedb had it all correct.
                        Last edited by Grasshopper; April 18, 2007, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>