title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Mp3s bitrate are 0kbps in Windows Explorer but are still playable!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiobug
    • Mar 2007

Mp3s bitrate are 0kbps in Windows Explorer but are still playable!

I've been browsing through my mp3 collection in windows explorer and have noticed that there are a small number of albums that have a track which has 0kbps under the 'bitrate' heading in WE whilst the remaining tracks have their correct bitrate ratings eg 128 or 320 etc.. However, when I choose to play it the song works perfectly?

So why is W.E. not displaying the correct bitrates if these erroneous tracks play properly? I've tried opening the problem tracks in notepad but it takes ages to load and finally presents me with a huge amount of jumbled up text.

Should I use dMC to convert them again or is there any way of restoring the track bitrate displays to the correct settings?

A few months ago, I had a hard disk crash during an operation I was trying to carry out merging two partitions together to create one whole one. Could this be the reason for the incorrect bitrate displays? If so then why would the tracks play without problems :( ?

Thanks again for your great help.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Mp3s bitrate are 0kbps in Windows Explorer but are still playable!

The partition merging/crash might be part of the problem. Try converting the files to a mp3 file of the same settings and see if it displays a correct bitrate.

As for opening the files in notepad, they always display as garbled text, whether the file is normal or otherwise.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Re: Mp3s bitrate are 0kbps in Windows Explorer but are still playable!

Windows Explorer can be bad at reading VBR mp3 files.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>