title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting from Audible files -- playback speed doubled

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blakbuzzrd
    • Mar 2007

Converting from Audible files -- playback speed doubled

I just installed R12 on my new laptop, along with Audible Manager 4 and all that. I converted Audible files to MP3 format on my old machine with no hiccups. On this machine, though, the conversion is really fast, and the playback speed is doubled for some reason. Patrick Tull sounds like Alvin the Chipmunk.

Anybody know how to fix this, or what the problem may be?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Converting from Audible files -- playback speed doubled

Tried playing the files in Windows Media Player? are they ok?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• blakbuzzrd
      • Mar 2007

If you mean did I play the converted files in WMP, yes, and they are sped up. I even tried ripping to .wav first, with the same result even in the .wav.

Any ideas?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

I think Spoon was referring to the original Audible files. Are they sped up when you play them in WMP?

Comment

• blakbuzzrd
          • Mar 2007

I've not responded to this yet, because I've been trying with no success to play regular Audible files with Windows Media Player. I tried installing the old filter, with no luck, while using WMP 9.x. I then upgraded to WMP 11.x, and tried reinstalling the filter. Didn't work.

Obviously, the first item of bidness is to find out why WMP won't play my Audible files. It keeps giving me a "Windows doesn't recognize this extension" message.

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

To double-check your steps: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...4575#post44575
            You installed the Audible Manager 4.0, then installed the WMP Filter for Audible? You might need to reinstall it since you upgraded to WMP 11.

Comment

• blakbuzzrd
              • Mar 2007

Here are the specs:
              • Audible 4.0
              • Windows Media Player Filter
              • Windows Media Player 11
              • dMC R12
              • Directshow codec configured for .aa

When I try to open an .aa file in WMP, it gives me this warning message:

If I proceed, the usual Audible section navigation control popup will appear, but there's no sound, and if I try to force it to play, I get this message:

Any ideas what's going on?

Comment

• blakbuzzrd
                • Mar 2007

Re: Converting from Audible files -- playback speed doubled -- FIXED

Finally got this to work. Turns out that with some media, WMP 10 and 11 screw up the playback speed. I discovered that the same fault was affecting certain video files I would stream. The videos would play with the high-speed chipmunk sound. Other videos (and my Audible files) wouldn't play at all, and I would see a "Enumerator has become invalid" message.

Found a thread where a guy described the same problem, and his solution: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=648546

My solution was:

1. Installed WMP 11
                2. Installed Audible filter
                3. Downloaded and installed K-Lite Full codec pack.

Badabing! WMP behaving correctly now, with files playing at normal speed, and dMC once again working like a charm.

Because I had no fix for this for two months, though, I've now got five books queued, in my Patrick O'Brian series. Time to get cracking -- er, converting.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Re: Converting from Audible files -- playback speed doubled -- FIXED

So it was more a directx problem, rather than specifically audible related?
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• blakbuzzrd
                    • Mar 2007

If WMP problem = directx problem, then yes. I don't know enough about the underlying coding to know. The Audible files were fine, as were the filters and my dMC configuration.

Comment

Working...

]]>