title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Passing Variables To External Programs?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Memphis Foundry
    • Mar 2007

Passing Variables To External Programs?

Hello -- I've been trying out dbpowerAMP today and it's a great program. I've gotten it to do everything I want except for one thing. I want it to call an external program once it's finished ripping an entire album and pass the [artist] and [album] to an external program so I can go out and grab additional sizes of album art and lyrics. I've been able to execute the program using the DSP "Run External" action at batch end but I haven't had any luck passing the variables across. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Passing Variables To External Programs?

Can you describe what you mean by "passing the variables across"?
    You can use [infile] and [outfile] to give it the path to the files. You should probably use quotes around them, though.

Comment

• Memphis Foundry
      • Mar 2007

Thanks for the reply, Lt. I'm looking to pass the artist and album name of the CD I just ripped to an external program. If I could use the same variables that are available in the file naming dialog, that would be perfect. I would pass them using the command line option doing something like this:

-al [album] -ar [artist]

If I can do that, it will make my ripping a one-step operation as I'll be able to rip to FLAC, tag with AMG, and grab my small cover image from AMG using dbpowerAMP and then call a custom program with the album and artist info so I can pick out my medium and large cover images and download lyrics for the album all in one step.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Artist and album should be passed just like you have said, have you tried it? (you will want to put "[artist]" etc in case there is a space in artist).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Memphis Foundry
          • Mar 2007

Hi Spoon -- I tried using [artist] and [album] in square brackets like the example above but I didn't try quoting them. Without quotes I was just seeing the strings [artist] and [album] passed rather than the values. I'll try that tonight -- thanks for your help.
          Last edited by Memphis Foundry; March 19, 2007, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>