title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dMC CD Ripper crashes on first load

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HuskyDawg
    • Mar 2007

dMC CD Ripper crashes on first load

OK, so last time I used this software it was the trial version... It worked great, this was about a month ago... I wanted to try learning the software again to see if I wanted to purchase it only to find that my trial had expired! So I figured from my very positive 30 or so minutes of using it the first and only time it was worth getting the Reference version... So I went ahead, bought it, downloaded it, uninstalled the previous trial version, installed the registered version, and upon my first time running the registered version it crashed, figured something may have went wrong during the install so I uninstalled the CD ripper portion, restated, installed, restarted, tried again, same problem... I'm a little frustrated with this being how I JUST purchased the software moments ago and this is a mostly untouched installation of XP SP2... I had one bit of hardware change from when I used the trial version, and that is the installation of a SATA optical drive. (dMC supports STA drives right?? The interface shouldn't make any difference, Windows handles the I/O???)

The type of crash it gives me is the "Send error report" type. "CDGrab.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

It only seems to be crashing during the "Connecting to accuraterip server" and it ranges from the millisecond I see the "connecting to accuraterip server" dialog box pop up in dBpoweramp, to a second or two delay. If dMC doesn't try connecting to the AccurateRip server the program does not crash (if I don't have a CD in the drive it won't crash, but obviously that isn't an option heh)

*UPDATE* I figured it may have something to do with a bug in the AccurateRip servers so I disabled my internet connection and tried loading in a CD for DMC and I got a new error:

Error reading online file '/accuraterip/4/d/c/dBAR-017-00226cd4-01c330bd-e90ece11.bin' Unable to connect to AccurateRip: Check internet connection, enter any proxy settings as required" <OK>

I figured there was something screwy going on with the servers, but then I hit OK and the program crashes AGAIN.

I'll try disabling AccurateRip and running the program, but that definitely isn't an option since this feature was a key selling point for this software!

Anyone out there have any hunches? Any suggestions? Anyone having a similar problem? Thanks for reading!!
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: dMC CD Ripper crashes on first load

Are you running dMC r12 or dMC r11.5? Version numbers are found at Start --> Programs --> dBpoweramp Music Converter --> Configuration --> dBpoweramp (or dMC) Configuration.

Does it crash with any CD you try to get it to load, or just a few?

Do you have CD Text Enabled? In dMC r12, click the down arrow beside the Meta button and make sure CD-Text is unchecked.

What communication set are you using? This is found in the Options menu in the "CD ROM" section at the bottom of the window. If it is set to "SCSI Pass Through (SPT)" try changing it to "Windows Built-In".
    There is a report by another user that could only get his SATA CD-Drive to work in this manner, using Windows Built-In.
    Last edited by LtData; March 10, 2007, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• HuskyDawg
      • Mar 2007

First, thank you very much for responding!!!

The problem seems kind of intermittent, or just plain confusing... After changing around some settings you suggested it started working again... then not... then it worked again... I think it was a combination of disabling CD-TEXT, the communications method, auto run... I dunno.. Along the way I also (out of bad habit) I started changing some settings here and there as I came across them without doing one at a time (for good debugging practice)...
      I was a little disappointed with giving up some error checking abilities when switching to the windows built-in, so I tried the scsi method again, and it worked? Then I tried a new CD and it crashed, i went back, changed it back and it started crashing again.. and then..................................

So in other words this has been confusing as hell... it's already consumed too much of my time and energy for one night... I'll pick up on it again when I got some time next week... Hopefully if it continues I'll be able to pinpoint what exactly is going on to help you/the community for when someone else has this problem.

Again thanks for responding, I'll reply to this topic if I find any additional information.

I started writing up whats below here before it started working sporadically so I'll keep it just for the records...

>are you running dMC r12 or dMC r11.5?

"dBpoweramp Music Converter Release 12"
      So R12 I guess

>Does it crash with any CD you try to get it to load, or just a few?

So far it has crashed on all but one CD I have tried, and it has crashed on that CD since then as well... I first encountered the problem when it was calculating the offset of my drive. It got through the first CD and asked for additional key CD's, I got to the second CD and it crashed, I did tat same deal I think two more times until it stopped asking to calculate the offset, then it just started crashing each time it accesses the AccurateRip function... For what it's worth, I think the drive I have may be a newer model? (Samsung SH-S183L)

>Do you have CD Text Enabled? In dMC r12, click the down arrow beside the Meta button and make sure CD-Text is unchecked.

I am unable to check the status of that as the button is inactive until I load in a CD, and as soon as I load in a CD it accesses AccurateRip and...

What communication set are you using?
      It's set to be using scsi, I switched it to the windows method and it allowed me into the program, but now I'm missing out on some valuable error recovery algorithms, I switched it back and it still worked for whatever reason... I'm going to play around with these settings a bit more...

Comment

• Wayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Aug 2002

Have you tried turning off the Accurate Rip function?

Comment

• HuskyDawg
          • Mar 2007

Well I definitely wanted to avoid that as that was one of the key selling points of the program, and to turn that off made it no different than others out there...

But it has since then started working (kind of) I ran out of time to mess with it and I'll pick up on it later, read the above reply for the details, thanks for responding!!

Comment

Working...

]]>