title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping has slowed to a crawl

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ErikM
    • Mar 2007

Ripping has slowed to a crawl

OK I'm not a super computer guy but here goes. I installed/ registered r12 ripping to apple lossless.. all was fine. tonight I tried to do some more cd's and the speed went from fast.. up to 40+ times, this is a 48X times LD drive to 4X ! I read the faq which sez go to device manager and reset the ide controller etc to DMA.. well I can't cause I have a dell with sata drives and there is no where ( that I can find) in the device manager to do this. At least this is what dell told me after an hour on the phone. When I rip with itunes all is fine 30-40X rips, this sucks.. is there a fix?? Is there a way to reset the drive.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ripping has slowed to a crawl

Check in Options (perhaps on the secure settings as well if you are using secure mode) that the drive speed is on Maximum and not x4.

Try ripping to test conversion (after a full shut down and restart of the computer), see what speed you get.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Check here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...newpost&t=4619

Comment

• ErikM
        • Mar 2007

What is a test conversion, where are the instructions on how to do this? If you mean rip just one track, I tried that it's still at 4x speed..rip speed is set at max, and again itunes will rip at normal speed 30-40x LT DATA following your link when I go to device manager I DO NOT HAVE IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to adjust/ change in device manager.

On inspection in Device Manager (start >> settings >> control panel >> system >> hardware >> Device Manager) looking under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers >> Primary IDE Channel (right click >> proporties) 'Advanced Settings' current transfer mode was not a DMA (the fastest, it was some PIO).

To solve it select each item under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers' right click >> uninstall (click no to reboot until all are removed, uninstall Master Controller last, then reboot, Windows will refind the IDE controllers and reboot again, all should be well.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

If you'll look at the list of codecs, one of them is called "Test Conversion". Also, are you in Burst or Secure mode?

As for not having IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, this is very odd. Do you have "Connections by type" selected under the view menu? If you do, could you list what main categories you do have listed there, so we can try to find the IDE controllers?

Comment

• ErikM
            • Mar 2007

LT I'm at work now, so it'll have to wait till this evening.. I'm ripping in secure mode (the whole reason I bought R12) I'll also try test conversion first thing when I get home.. FWIW the gal at dell that I spent an hour on the phone with last night was saying since this PC ( brand new Dell XPS 410) uses SATA drives so there are no IDE or what ever controllers but I think she was wrong. Be back at you guys tonight, and thanks for the help so far. I really hope I can get this sorted.

And FWIW as I mentioned I'm at work now and when I look I look in device mananger here I can plainly see the ide ata/atapi controllers primary channel secondary channel the pull down for DMA/PIO settings etc.. on my PC at home I was told ( by the dell gal) that since I have a SATA drives there are no ide ata/atapi controller setting since I don't have ide ata/atapi type drives. This make sence???
            Last edited by ErikM; March 02, 2007, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Even your CD/DVD drive is SATA?

Also, I have seen computers where the SATA-connected hard drives still showed up under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Comment

• ErikM
                • Mar 2007

Yes both drives are SATA, 48x DVD ROM, and 12X DVD/CD RW As I said as far as I can tell and I will check again there is NOWHERE in the device manager to change settings ... from PIO to DMA.. I think I'm screwed :-(

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Check the drive speeds on Options

and also on Options >> Secure >> Settings
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ErikM
                    • Mar 2007

Did that... I just got off the phone with Dell seems my PC has Only SATA controllers no IDE at all... I maybe beat unless there is some setting in the registery I can change...

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

There should be something in the Device Manager where it shows that your devices are connected to the SATA controller. However, what it is listed under is beyond me. Mabye a screenshot or typed list of what you have in the device manager would help us find this. Note that you cannot attach files to your posts, so you would need to upload the screenshot to a free file hosting service and then embed a link to the image in your post.

Comment

• ErikM
                        • Mar 2007

I'll try that this evening

Comment

• ErikM
                          • Mar 2007

Tried EVERYTHING.. I've uninstalled , and reinstalled R12, I've gone into setup and turned of the dvd drive rebooted, then turned it back on.. nothing it still won't run faster than 4-6x in secure mode. But it will rip at normal speeds in burst, and itunes will rip normal speeds.. I don't think it's a hardware issue I think it's a software issue with dbpower.. too bad I think I just wasted $28.00 :-( FYI there is Nowhere to change DMA modes, nada.. I do have a call into microsoft but I'm not holding my breath, dell wasn't any help either. Maybe someone else has a dell xps410 with the 48x lg dvd drive and will be able to figure it out.... But for now I guess I'm beat.

Comment

• ErikM
                            • Mar 2007

And here's the list from device manager

computer
                            disk drives
                            display adapters
                            dvd/cd rom drives
                            human interface
                            keyboards
                            mice and other pointing devices
                            modems
                            monitors
                            network adaptors
                            processors
                            scsi and raid controllers
                            sound video game controllers
                            system devices
                            USB controllers

There is nothing under any of them that lets me tweak the DVD drive

Comment

• LtData
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • May 2004

My best guess would be SCSI and RAID controllers. However, I am unsure that SATA has a PIO mode.

Comment

Working...

]]>