title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Compressing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cagey
    • Feb 2007

Compressing

Hi. I am new here and to dbpower. I am trying to compress a song ( either a mp3 or wav) to make it small enough for Yahoo to allow it thru their groups and I can't seem to figure it out. I use Incredimail and I seee dozens of wavs coming thru (words and music) in small sizes. I need it small..like maybe under 200kb. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Cagey
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Compressing

If you are seeing small WAVs, they are probably compressed MP3 WAV files. Remember, though, that the smaller you make the file, the worse it will sound. Of course, this applies more to low-bitrate music (going from 128kbps to 64kbps) than voice, which sounds good at moderately low bitrates.

Comment

• cagey
      • Feb 2007

I started with a mps ..it was 5563kb. I compressed it to a wav and now its 1139kb. Still WAY too large for Yahoo . Is there any way I could send you the mp3 and you can see if anything can be done? I'm sorry. Once I learn , I promise not to bug you..too much. :smile2:

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

What settings did you pick for the WAV? We can probably figure out how to lower those while still keeping the sound quality. One easy way to save size, if possible, is to convert to a mono file.

Also, what is your filesize limit? 200kb?

Comment

• cagey
          • Feb 2007

Sorry..we lost electric here due to the storm and I feel behind in everything.
          I started with an mps 5563kb, bit rate 192, frequence 44100. I compressed to a wav-1139kb,mono,bits 8, frequency 8000. STill too large. I tried to compress to a WMA and that gets much smaller but I can't seem to attach it to my stat in Incredimail . (130 kb) bit rate 6kbps? Not ever sure what a WMA is!
          I always try the mono. The size I need depends on how large my stat is. If there is a lot of animation , I can never get them small enough. The 130kb would be great! I wind up using midis. I know it can be done because people have sent them thru the group but no one seems to how how! lol
          Thanks again for any help

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

How long is the file you want to attach?
            Also, did you make it a WAV or a compressed WAV?

Comment

• cagey
              • Feb 2007

Do you mean the length of time? As a mps it was 3:57 amd as a wav its 2:25.
              I really don'r know what I did. lol I don't think I compressed it because I didn't know what to pick from the "change format" spot.

Comment

Working...

]]>