title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Recording talk radio directly to mp3?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daniel Davis
    • Feb 2007

Recording talk radio directly to mp3?

Would like to record talk radio via my sound card...and have it record directly to mp3. Few questions:

1. Does the free version of the converter RECORD or just convert & play?

2. What settings would be optimal for the talk radio project?

3. I read a post that suggests a "y cable"...would that be necessary for talk radio?

Thanks
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Recording talk radio directly to mp3?

1) The free version of dMC will record and convert your audio. However, you cannot convert to mp3 with only the free version. The program to record is called Auxiliary Input. Unfortunately, it has not been ported to dMC r12 yet, so you must use r11.5. See below under "missing features" for an explanation.

Where is the audio coming from? A radio, or a live session? Normally, audio files with only speaking can be about 48kbps.

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

The cable part assumes that you are recording from a line-in running from your radio or stereo to your computer's line input.

You could try recording from a speaer and microphone although the results would not likely be as good.

Best wishes,
      Bill

Comment

• Daniel Davis
        • Feb 2007

I would be recording from a cable hooked to the headphone outlet of my radio to the microphone jack on the sound card. My radio also has an aux output. Are you saying it would be better to hook the aux on my radio to the line-in on the sound card?

I had recorded this way (headphone to mic) before..using AUDACITY..but would then have to convert to mp3...which takes too much time when you've recorded 6 hours of it. I bought an RCA mp3 player/recorder..and it worked ok...but...the thing kept turning itself off for no reason...so I quit using it.

Can you suggest a good mp3 player/recorder (or software that works in win98se that I don't have to "activate" on the net...that's not too expensive and will:

1. record directly to mp3 from the radio.
        2. has an SD ram card slot
        3. has a way to plug into power so I won't have to worry about batteries as I record 6 hours a day

??

Originally posted by xoas
        The cable part assumes that you are recording from a line-in running from your radio or stereo to your computer's line input.

You could try recording from a speaer and microphone although the results would not likely be as good.

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

I would be recording from a cable hooked to the headphone outlet of my radio to the microphone jack on the sound card. My radio also has an aux output. Are you saying it would be better to hook the aux on my radio to the line-in on the sound card?
          Yes

I don't know about the mp3 player/recorder. I have an iRiver H10 5 gigabyte player that records directly from FM, does a decent job (although not as good as using my stereo's FM tuner and computer). It is limited by an upper recording rate of 44.1 kHz, 128 kbs (which should easily do for talk radio, I would think). It has an ac charger/adapter. It definitely does not have space for an SD card although you can easily upload from the player to a computer. Creative also offers mp3 players that have the same kind of capabilities (to the best of my knowledge).

However, perhaps some of the other folks here might have some recommendations about this.

Best wishes,
          Bill

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Just to note, microphone jacks are mono, line-in jacks are stereo.

Comment

Working...

]]>