title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Unable to get Flac decoder installed.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ljwhitmire
    • Feb 2007

Unable to get Flac decoder installed.

I had been using R11 or so. I noticed this evening that I was unable to decode .flac files which started my long journey to where I am now.

I updated dbpoweramp to R12. I updated all the codecs, and still nothing on flac. Turns out I also had the same problem with mpc, ape, as well as flac. So I uninstalled everything. Deleted all the registry keys I can find, deleted all the files I can find.

I just re-installed R12 and the latest Flac codec. When you look at the configuration, the Flac encoder shows up, but the flac decoder does not. It has no icon and no version. MPC and APE show the same thing.

Since I've uninstalled, stripped it down, and re-installed, I'm not sure what else to do at this point. I have no clue what lead to this in the first place, it's been working happily for over 10 months, but there you go, it broke and I can't seem to get it working again.

Curiously enough, before I uninstalled, it would display the right click menu for .fla files, but not .flac files. I checked the config and had the .fla option for flac files turned OFF.

I'm lost, any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks,
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Unable to get Flac decoder installed.

In dbpoweramp Configuration, switch to the Codecs page and copy to clipboard and post the results here please.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ljwhitmire
      • Feb 2007

Can do:

Codecs Installed

Encoders (write)

FLAC Release 6 (FLAC 1.1.3)
      .flac
      mp3 (Lame) Lame 3.97
      .mp3
      Test Conversion
      Wave Release 12
      .wav

Decoders (read)

CD Decoder Release 12
      .cda
      FLAC Decoder
      .flac
      mp3 Decoder Release 12
      .m2a, .mp1, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .mpg, .mpga, .mpx
      Wave Decoder Release 12
      .wav

Install on Demand

Windows Media Audio 10 .wma
      Ogg Vorbis .ogg
      Musepack .mpc
      Monkeys Audio .ape
      WavPack .wv
      Midi (read only) .mid

This is exactly like it was before. The Encoder shows up, but the decoder does not. If I look in the install directory, I see a flac file under encoders and decoders. I saw another post with a similar problem and the resolution was to blow away the decoder cache registry key. I uninstalled the whole thing and deleted all the registry keys that I know of.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

I am seeing FLAC under both encoder and decoder. There just isn't a version number on the FLAC decoder. On my dMC, it is the same way: only the encoders show the version numbers, the decoders do not.

Also, here describes the process you did: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6828 You might want to look over it and make sure you did everything.
        Last edited by LtData; February 10, 2007, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• ljwhitmire
          • Feb 2007

I did exactly that process. I deleted the install directory and the install key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate. Then I rebooted, and installed just dbpoweramp R12 and the Flac codec. I have the right-click menu enabled since that's typically how I do my conversions. The right-click shows for mp3's but not for .flac files.

The difference I see between the Flac decoder and the others is that the others say "Release 12" next to them and they have an icon. The Flac has nothing and shows the no-icon icon as if it can't actually find the dll. However, the dll is there under the folder decoders. I experience the exact same problem with the mpc and ape decoders as well. I haven't tried installing them again since I couldn't get the flac one to work.

Is it possible that another program could have caused this? I installed the R11 last summer and it's been working fine until a couple of days ago. I dont' recall installing anything except some photo editing software (AutoStitch). Since I can't pinpoint the exact day it broke, I can't be sure if anything happened around then.

I'm open for more suggestions! Anything else I can look at?

Comment

• xoas
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2002

Forgive me if you have already checked this but if you open up Music Converter and get the window to select audio files for converting, on the bottom of that window where it reads "files of type" does it read "All Audio Files" or is it set to a particular codec? If it is set to a particular codec it will only show files in that codec. Resetting to All Audio Files will fix this.

Best wishes,
            Bill

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

From what I can tell, the codecs that you manually install don't get an icon or version number under "Decoders".

Comment

• ljwhitmire
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by xoas
                Forgive me if you have already checked this but if you open up Music Converter and get the window to select audio files for converting, on the bottom of that window where it reads "files of type" does it read "All Audio Files" or is it set to a particular codec? If it is set to a particular codec it will only show files in that codec. Resetting to All Audio Files will fix this.

Best wishes,
                Bill

Good call. After the uninstall and reinstall I am able to use the Music Converter program to select the Flac files I want and convert them. When this whole thing started before the uninstall, that was not the case.

So I guess we are down to why I can't select convert for .flac files from the right click menu. It does show Edit Tag, but not convert.

One more thing, if I change the file extension to .fla it will bring up the convert menu on the right click. I thought there was a setting for that, but I can't seem to find it in R12.

So it's not unusable at the moment, but I prefer to use the right cllick menu. Thanks,

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

What program is FLAC associated with, also which windows version?
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ljwhitmire
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
                    What program is FLAC associated with, also which windows version?
                    This is on XP Pro. It currently has no association. Niether .fla or .flac have a program association. .fla will bring up the convert on right click, .flac will not.

Comment

• xoas
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2002

if I change the file extension to .fla it will bring up the convert menu on the right click. I thought there was a setting for that, but I can't seem to find it in R12.
                      I think the ontrol you are looking for (to associate .fla files with FLAC) is found by going to dBpowerAMP Configuration, clicking on the Codecs tab, and then clicking on the button that says Advanced Options. Scan down to the line for FLAC Decoder Options and find the line titled Associate with .fla Files. If it says No, cllick on this line and select Yes.

While you are in Configuration, click on the Music Converter tab and make sure that Convert To on Right Click menu is checked.

Best wishes,
                      Bill
                      Last edited by xoas; February 11, 2007, 01:09 AM.

Comment

• ljwhitmire
                        • Feb 2007

Thanks, I found the .fla option, it was not set, so I set it, then unset it. I also made sure the right click menu option was set. Still no right click for .flac files. It's very weird.

I'm open for any other suggestions. I guess I could uninstall and reinstall again?

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

There is an issue with Vista where if you change the file association with 'Default Programs', convert to does not get put onto the right click, I didn't think XP was affected, perhaps it is.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ljwhitmire
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
                            There is an issue with Vista where if you change the file association with 'Default Programs', convert to does not get put onto the right click, I didn't think XP was affected, perhaps it is.

I'll see if I can play around with file associations to see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Working...

]]>