title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Confusion with versions, upgrades etc.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dizwell
    • Feb 2007

Confusion with versions, upgrades etc.

On January 25th 2007, I purchased dbpowerAMP version 11.5 (I think it was). A week later, and I installed Vista Ultimate, meaning dbPowerAMP stopped working... but I was able to download a registered version of 12 as (presumably) an upgrade.

Trouble is/was, that download lacked the power pack, so I installed the old one, and it seemed to be OK. Only now I notice that when I rip a CD, the option to get CD info from AMG is now non-functional, claiming that my access has expired -though I believe I should have about 350 days left to run with it!

Can you tell me:

1. Am I actually entitled to use version 12?
    2. Did I do wrong installing the old power pack, and how do I get a new one if so?
    3. What do I do to get AMG working again, or is that a total loss?

Sorry for being a bit dense on these matters...
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Confusion with versions, upgrades etc.

The final answer will come from Spoon, but I think you are entitled to the 1-year AMG access. Did the e-mail you get that had your download link mention anything about AMG?

Comment

• dizwell
      • Feb 2007

Not as far as I can tell from the garbled mess that came through with the order confirmation!

Product CodeNameCommentsPriceDelivery MethodQuantityTotal*GBP
      3187PPPower Pack & Mp3 Encoder LicenseUS $14.00Email
      (Registration Link in Email)
      Power Pack & Mp3 Encoder License1US $14.00GBP 7.63
      TotalUS $14.00GBP 7.63
      Processing FeeUS $0.00GBP 0.00
      Grand TotalUS $14.00GBP 7.63

:(

Comment

• dizwell
        • Feb 2007

So if I've read the Products and registration pages right, I believe Version 12 Registered means I don't need the Power Pack at all? So I should uninstall that, probably? And if I uninstall db-everything-at-all, and then re-install Version 12 Registered, my AMG subscription should spark back into life?

I suppose my next question is then can I upgrade from "registered version 12" to "reference version 12" even though I originally purchased version 11.5, since I've got a Core 2 Duo and the support for multiple CPUs would be nice to have?

And from what I've read, if I don't upgrade to "12 Reference", I will be able to upgrade to version 13, 14 and so on forever for free, but once I move to the reference version, I can expect to pay a small fee to get version 13, and another small fee to get version 14 and so on.

Have I understood all of that right?! (I apologise in advance if this is supposed to be a 'just read the pages' thing).

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

No, Registered means you have the PowerPack. The AMG subscription is a separate installer.

Yes, you can upgrade to Reference via the link on the Registration page. If you do this, the AMG issue will be moot, as your new purchase will give you a 1-year access.

Again, yes, the PowerPack is a one-time purchase, while Reference incurs a small upgrade fee for each major version.

Comment

• dizwell
            • Feb 2007

OK, I just uninstalled everything, rebooted, and then did a plain vanilla installation of dMC-r12-Registered.exe, no funny business.

At the end of that, it popped up a dialog asking me whether I'd like to install a 30-day trial of Powerpack and a 30-day trial of AMG.

I thought I'd paid for the Powerpack back in Version 11.5, and that it came with 365 days of AMG?

I'm sorry: I must just be incredibly dense, but to me it appears that in upgrading to 12-registered I have lost two bits of functionality that I had in 11.5-registered. What am I doing wrong?!

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

The r11.5 PowerPack didn't have AMG.

Does dBpowerAMP COnfiguration show your status as registered? Are you sure you did a r12 registered install?

Comment

• dizwell
                • Feb 2007

Thanks very much for your assistance.

The email I received on 25th January read:
                Please click the following link to print out your receipt. If your e-mail client does not work correctly with the link then please copy and paste it into the address window of your web browser.

Link for receipt:
                ...blah...blah...blah

Thank you for purchasing Power Pack & Mp3 Encoder License

your program download link:
                etc...etc....etc

So that looks like the Powerpack was included in 11.5 as far as I can tell.

The configuration thing reads:
                dBpoweramp Music Converter
                Release 12
                Registration Status [Register]
                mp3 License & Power Pack: Registered
                All Media Guide: 30 Days Access Remaining

So yes, I think I did do a 12 registered install (and as I say, the downloaded executable was called dMC-r12-Registered.exe)

I'd be grateful for any further light you can shed on what I am supposed to have, what I've got and what/why the difference is!

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

You are registered, so don't worry about the "30-day trial" for the PowerPack. As for the AMG issue, we will have to wait for Spoon's response on this.

Comment

• dizwell
                    • Feb 2007

OK, thanks for that. I'll happily wait...

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Hmm, I just realized something. With you purchasing the $14 PowerPack, you actually don't get AMG. That is included in the $18 PowerPack. So you can either purchase the $5 1 year access to AMG or you can upgrade to Reference, like you mentioned. Again, Spoon has the final word but I think this is correct.

Comment

• DudeBoyz
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Oct 2006

I registered my 11.5 and was sent a link to download the registered version.

How / where do I get the download link for the 12 Registered - not Reference but the free 12 upgrade?

Thanks

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

AMG only comes with the $18 Power Pack which was released 4 days ago, not previous $14 Power Packs. There is a $5 1 year purchase of AMG on registration (so in total it will cost $19).
                          -------------

@Dude

Please don't hijack other peoples threads, it makes answering and reading not easy:

Download R12 registered from registration retrieval:

Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dizwell
                            • Feb 2007

OK. Thanks for clearing the confusion up a bit!

I think I'll just go reference version and have done. Much simpler all round, I think!

Comment

• DudeBoyz
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
                              AMG only comes with the $18 Power Pack which was released 4 days ago, not previous $14 Power Packs. There is a $5 1 year purchase of AMG on registration (so in total it will cost $19).
                              -------------

@Dude

Please don't hijack other peoples threads, it makes answering and reading not easy:

Download R12 registered from registration retrieval:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/registration/
                              Sorry - got it worked out and was able to download. Thanks

Comment

Working...

]]>