title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Followed all directions still can't convert Real Player audio file

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragoneer
    • Jan 2007

Followed all directions still can't convert Real Player audio file

I've installed Real Alternative, (with default settings) Real Player Classic and dBpowerAMP. I also have Audible Manager installed, but I will uninstall it unless instructed not to do so because it appears it cannot read Real Media files.
    These were all installed after uninstalling the new version of Real Player which was able to play the audio file.
    I've read all of the posts related to this issue and cannot resolve the problem.
    My problem is that I still get this message:

The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Documents and Settings\***\My Documents\herctoon.ram' could not be opened.
    DirectShow filter for '.ram' not installed, or Audio File Corrupt.

I've been trying to find the correct codec to convert this type of file, but to no avail.
    Spoon...or anyone, please direct me to the path of completion! I'll be forever grateful.

Footnote: After uninstalling Real Player (one of the latest versions) then installing Real Alternative, Real Player Classic and dBpowerAMP, my computer ran faster and I was able to play some .flv files I couldn't play with other FLV players. It can even play .swf files...AWESOME!!
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: Followed all directions still can't convert Real Player audio file

I think you'll find that the .ram file is just a file containing meta data pointing to the location of the true audio file. Try opening the .ram file in notepad if it is only a few KB and see what it contains.

You will need to obtain the actual audio file to convert it.

Wayne

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Moved to dMC Support.
      Can you play the .ram file in Windows Media Player? Did you put ".ram" in the "Config DirectShow" file as you were instructed?

Comment

• Dragoneer
        • Jan 2007

Wayne, I opened the file in Notepad as instucted and this is what I got:

Lt.Data I tried opening the file in WPM and this is the error message I got:

Windows Media Player encountered an unknown error. This can occur when another program or operating system component encounters a problem but does not communicate the nature of the problem to the Player.
        C00D11CD: Unknown error
        Error ID = 0xC00D11CD, Condition ID = 0x00000000

As far as I'm aware, I entered the information correctly in the "Config DirectShow" file as instructed. Here is my entry:

// Add supported DirectShow file type extensions, type only one extension per
        // line (replace .xyz below), re-run 'dMC Configuration' after adding new, for example:
        //
        // .ac3
        // .abc
        //
        .aa
        .ra
        .rpm
        .rm
        .ram
        .rmvb
        .rt
        .rp
        .smi
        .smil
        .roq
        .flv

I was a little uncertain as to the next step which simply tells you... "re-run 'dMC Configuration' after adding new, for example:"

Can you please detail exactly what this means so I can be certain if my next step was correct.

Thanks

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

"Re-run dMC Configuration" means to open dMC Configuration and make sure that it shows the new entries.

Take the link that you pasted above and then try to convert it. I downloaded the file http://www2.wi.net/~rkurer/real/herctoon.rm and it opens in WMP just fine.

Comment

• Dragoneer
            • Jan 2007

Thanks LtData I finally got it to work. It started to convert it and then it stopped. After trying it a few times while connected to the Internet, I decided to download a new file because of the possibility that the file was corrupted previously.
            To my surprise the site converted from the new format that only downloaded Real media, to the original format that downloads .wav (mainly WMP compatible) I used months prior which resulted in me not having to convert it again. Was this a result of the procedure, or just coincidence?

Thanks again for your help, you guys are AWESOME!!

Comment

Working...

]]>