title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

editing tags with context menu blows explorer

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgolden
    • Dec 2006

editing tags with context menu blows explorer

Spoon, glad to tell you that I bought and downloaded the registered 12 as soon as I could, there's my plug for your support. Every time I try to edit a tag, I can mod the tag, go to save, and explorer gets killed and then restrarts. I know this was discussed in the beta forum, is there a fix forthcoming or is there a setting I need to tweak? Can't use that feature as of now.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: editing tags with context menu blows explorer

What files gave you this problem? Do you have the codecs for these files installed? Did you install the codecs from Codec Central or from the dMC r12 download thread?

What is the name of your file? Do you have Unicode in the tags or filename?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Make sure you uninstall the older beta version, then reboot and install new.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Tigerman
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Mar 2005

I have completely uninstalled dbpoweramp before installing dMC-R12-Ref-Trial.
        But my problem sounds simular as the above mentioned.
        Only I am also a registred user of Total Commander and Total Commander reports following error after using the Edit Tag from context menu:

"OLE2 command failed! Either your OLE2 subsystem is damaged, or you have installed a shell extension which is uncompatible with Total commander."

I used Total Commander 6.53, 6.54a and the latest 6.56. All gave the same message trying editing flac and ape files.
        When I open Total Commander I am able to edit a few tags, but after a while this error occurs. Can't find an exact moment, but it happened on 2 different computers.

I didn't have any problems with the edit tag from context menu in dMC R11.5

I hope there will be solution for this, cause I like the edit tag function.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Did you reboot after the uninstall? And when you say "completely uninstalled" did you remove all registry entries and all files?

Comment

• Tigerman
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Mar 2005

I didn't reboot, but I deleted all files.
            I will uninstall, delete all files, delete reg.keys and try again.

I'll Be Back

Comment

• Tigerman
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Mar 2005

I am back..

I
              * uninstalled everything dbpoweramp related,
              * deleted all files (was nothing left anyway)
              * deleted 2 reg keys I found (btw: nice name spooninstall)
              * rebooted
              * installed dMC-R12-Ref-Trial
              * tag edited around 6-10 flac-files in Total Commander with context-menu
              * got the same error again.
              * hope somebody has a solution.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Does it give you the error if you use Window Explorer?

Comment

• mgolden
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by LtData
                  What files gave you this problem? Do you have the codecs for these files installed? Did you install the codecs from Codec Central or from the dMC r12 download thread?

Here is the process I followed after reading your posts:
                  1.) I uninstalled the R12 registered and all codecs, everyting dbpower related;
                  2.) looked thru the registry for all dbposeramp/spoon entries and deleted, with the exception of the AMG registration;
                  3.) rebooted;
                  4.)installed the registered R12;
                  5.) ripped a reference CD to FLAC, then context menu'd into the tag editing, tried to edit one tag, windows explorer faulted;
                  6.) rebooted, thinking I might need to reboot after the install;
                  7.) tried the context menu editing, one file (FLAC) and windows explorer faulted, also Drwatson failed

Most of my files are FLAC (used dbpoweramp to convert from apple lossless), so that is what I care about most. No unicode.
                  So, ideas?

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

@Tigerman you need to try without total commander, Windows Explorer please.

mgolden - which WIndows version do you have? how are you editng the tag, right click >> Edit IDTag or right click properties and then the ID Tag page, when does it crash, after editing or as soon as the page appears?
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mgolden
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by LtData

Here is the process I followed after reading your posts:
                      1.) I uninstalled the R12 registered and all codecs, everyting dbpower related;
                      2.) looked thru the registry for all dbposeramp/spoon entries and deleted, with the exception of the AMG registration;
                      3.) rebooted;
                      4.)installed the registered R12;
                      5.) ripped a reference CD to FLAC, then context menu'd into the tag editing, tried to edit one tag, windows explorer faulted;
                      6.) rebooted, thinking I might need to reboot after the install;
                      7.) tried the context menu editing, one file (FLAC) and windows explorer faulted, also Drwatson failed

Most of my files are FLAC (used dbpoweramp to convert from apple lossless), so that is what I care about most. No unicode.
                      So, ideas?

Comment

• Tigerman
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Mar 2005

I tried it (against my will :D ) with Windows Explorer. After 2-7 edits (rightclick on file/Edit Tag, change something) Explorer.exe has a fault and has to be closed.
                        This happened on 2 of my computer, both win XP Pro.

As long as I don't change anything (just looking at the tag) the explorer doesn't crash.

Comment

• mgolden
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
                          @Tigerman you need to try without total commander, Windows Explorer please.

mgolden - which WIndows version do you have? how are you editng the tag, right click >> Edit IDTag or right click properties and then the ID Tag page, when does it crash, after editing or as soon as the page appears?
                          XPSP2 fully patched. Editing done with right click, crash occurs when saving. Was able to edit 2-3 times on a single file basis, then selected multiple (9) files and on save is when explorer failed.

Comment

• LtData
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

Tigerman and mgolden: is it a particular file format that does this, or any files? Does it do it with multiple files, single files, or both?

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

Try the final flac release codec:

Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>